exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 01:28 PM   #151
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no, as long as there is not a need for each of your 3 dacs to have unique i2c address then there will not be an issue. in this case you could have each dac a unit unto itself without any connection between them at all, because titan will be splitting up the data stream into discrete channels, rather than sending the same data stream to all three dacs and asking them to decipher which data is meant for its own channels and which is for its 'partner' in that case they would use a hardware address to decide which data is meant for it.

so in short, you'll be fine, as titan will take control and send only what data is needed to each dac.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:15 PM   #152
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
no, as long as there is not a need for each of your 3 dacs to have unique i2c address then there will not be an issue. in this case you could have each dac a unit unto itself without any connection between them at all, because titan will be splitting up the data stream into discrete channels, rather than sending the same data stream to all three dacs and asking them to decipher which data is meant for its own channels and which is for its 'partner' in that case they would use a hardware address to decide which data is meant for it.

so in short, you'll be fine, as titan will take control and send only what data is needed to each dac.
Hi qusp,
Reading your posts I am getting confused and I don’t know any more if exaU2I can control any DACs. I am not even sure if the name of my device is exaU2I or titan.

Perhaps all this foggy discussion belongs to another thread code named titan. Perhaps the developers behind titan can organize themselves somewhere else and talk about the advantages of their products. Bringing the limitations and complexities of other designs is not productive here.

exa065

Last edited by Variac; 11th March 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:17 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ES9018 based DACs are not going to benefit from the use of external reference clock
I think asrc measures better , but I don't know if it counts.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:31 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen, there are many unanswered questions on this thread. I will try to answer all of them shortly. There are only so many hours in a day. Please be patient.

exa065
Old 10th March 2011, 06:21 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi qusp,
Reading your posts I am getting confused and I don’t know any more if exaU2I can control any DACs. I am not even sure if the name of my device is exaU2I or titan.
haha, i was under the impression that this was the point, that it didnt control them. they have their own addresses and thats fine, because they have their own i2s stream that doesnt need to be shared with anything else and the dacs need not talk to each other. it controls them in the way that it sends a clock with the data, but thats it, not an i2c connection? titan is not mcu for the sabres as well is it? if it is you have not communicated this to me. maybe you are confused or maybe its me that is confused and there is a whole other layer of the design i have not been aware of.

the i2c limitation has nothing to do with buffalo, or ackodac, it is a limitation of the chip itself, one that can be gotten around by creating some external DSP/mcu that coordinates the efforts of the dacs, or removes the need for the address in the first place.

regarding titan the name slipped out before by accident and then i probably changed back to some silly shortening of your name. my sincere apologies if you did not want the name out there yet.

Quote:
Perhaps all this foggy discussion belongs to another thread code named titan. Perhaps the developers behind titan can organize themselves some ware else and talk about the advantages of their products. Bringing the limitations and complexities of other designs is not productive here.

exa065
hmmm well perhaps you can make this decision,

i'm happy to leave it for after there is something more to talk about and start a thread then, but i did not believe it was off topic. on the contrary, once explained it highlights the advantage of your design, as more than 2 sabre dacs can be used in concert in a crossover with multiple chips, which should be higher quality than 1 x 9018

i didnt intend it to go on as long as it did, but the info was first questioned and then i was asked for more detail, i did not think it was off topic/foggy, perhaps you could start a topic and outline the direction you would like it to go? i'll leave you to it, sorry for the disturbance

Last edited by qusp; 10th March 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10th March 2011, 08:30 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
regarding titan the name slipped out before by accident and then i probably changed back to some silly shortening of your name. my apologies if you did not want the name out there yet.
No silly shortening of my name can come even close to titan. Iíve never used any code names for exaU2I. I will be using version numbers. You must be mixing this thread and exaU2I with something else. What is titan?
Old 11th March 2011, 01:31 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

i must shutup now, a massive coincidence of timing has caused confusion. disregard any reference to that name. i'll see if the mods can clean up my posts, sometimes i really wish we had edit access to our posts for much longer
Old 13th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to egberttheone
Exa065 do you have any idea how long we need to wait before you release it? on your website it still says "exaU2I USB to I2S Interface will be released in a week or two. " and that was 3 weeks ago
Old 14th March 2011, 12:35 AM   #159
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
also rsdio, i' using a 100hz clock with my dac and i'm not under the impression that this is the limit
Wow, 100 Hz? What, does that give you all of a 50 Hz bandwidth for your audio, or less? At 24-bit bit stereo, you'd have just over 1 Hz of audio bandwidth.

... just kidding, I imagine that you meant to type 100 MHz. What DAC are you using? More importantly, I suppose you haven't hooked it up to an exaU2I yet, have you?
Old 14th March 2011, 10:19 AM   #160
diyAudio Member

yes, my m key doesnt work, nice catch, stopped working last week and i have to have it in my copy cache to paste into anywhere that needs one, a complete pita.

i'm using the akd12p teflon version sabre dac from ackolabs with opc's d1 inspired mosfet iv stage, nope i havent and wont be hooking it up to the exa unit any time soon. i have another one on its way shortly to test. one that was coincidentally developed at almost exactly the same time, with almost exactly the same specs, thus my confusion. i'm on the interest list for the exa unit though, and will probably try both at some point

Last edited by qusp; 14th March 2011 at 10:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!