exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 09:16 PM   #1291
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to egberttheone
exaU2I - 32bit/384kHz Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface
Old 26th March 2013, 10:37 AM   #1292
diyAudio Member

I have encountered an issue when using exaU2I and JRiver for 6 channels (copying the signal from 2 to 6 channels for triamping). When there is signal on more than 3 channels I get loud crackling noises, and it gets even worse when I use more channels. All channels are clean when run separately, but it doesn't work when adding more channels.

Any ideas? Seems hardware/firmware related and not a JRiver problem. Something with the hardware buffer? I have the first version of the exa ASIO driver. Maybe I should try the newer dashboard version?
Old 26th March 2013, 12:55 PM   #1293
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
I have encountered an issue when using exaU2I and JRiver for 6 channels (copying the signal from 2 to 6 channels for triamping). When there is signal on more than 3 channels I get loud crackling noises, and it gets even worse when I use more channels. All channels are clean when run separately, but it doesn't work when adding more channels.

Any ideas? Seems hardware/firmware related and not a JRiver problem. Something with the hardware buffer? I have the first version of the exa ASIO driver. Maybe I should try the newer dashboard version?
Hello Painkiller, It is good to hear from you.

I've emailed to you your username, You can always request a password reminder on the login page of the exaDevices download site by using your username or email. Please download the latest drivers.

I don't think that this is a driver issue. The configuration that you are trying to setup was tested using Foobar and Allocator. Could you try to recreate the configuration described in this article - Using Allocator with exaU2I and Foobar 2000.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:27 PM   #1294
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I tried the newer driver, but with no difference. I'll try the Foobar + Allocator setup and get back to you.

The problem might also be related to timing issues, since the clock lines are daisy-chained to the dacs. Strange that all channels work fine on their own though.
Old 26th March 2013, 02:34 PM   #1295
diyAudio Member

Ok, so the Foobar + Allocator combo resulted in the exact same problem. Clean when running two channels. Loud crackling noises when routing more channels.
Old 26th March 2013, 02:44 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks! I tried the newer driver, but with no difference. I'll try the Foobar + Allocator setup and get back to you.

The problem might also be related to timing issues, since the clock lines are daisy-chained to the dacs. Strange that all channels work fine on their own though.
Daisy chaining can result in strange reflections. They should all be home runs.
Old 26th March 2013, 04:01 PM   #1297
diyAudio Member

I did the experiment with Allocator on a single DAC in 8 channel mode.
Old 27th March 2013, 04:01 PM   #1298
diyAudio Member

Well, I've been doing some troubleshooting, and it's definitely a hardware problem. I have three stereo AD1865 dacs. When I disconnect the 5,6 data line, the two others work perfectly. When I disconnect the 3,4 data line, the others work perfectly together. But when I disconnect the 1,2 line, others don't work.

I guess it might be a wiring issue. Different data line lengths on line 3,4 and 5,6? Could that be the problem?
Old 27th March 2013, 06:20 PM   #1299
diyAudio Member

Ok, a lot of back and forth here. It wasn't a data/clock wiring issue. I had shared the 5v supply with the one going to the dac. When I put in a separate 5v supply the problem disappeared. So exaU2I works perfectly with both the JRiver internal crossovers and with the Thuneau Allocator. Running 6 channels at 192kHz now.
Old 27th March 2013, 06:43 PM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok, a lot of back and forth here. It wasn't a data/clock wiring issue. I had shared the 5v supply with the one going to the dac. When I put in a separate 5v supply the problem disappeared. So exaU2I works perfectly with both the JRiver internal crossovers and with the Thuneau Allocator. Running 6 channels at 192kHz now.
Congratulations!

You've mentioned that a similar issue was reported on the J River support forum. Could you send me the link? Perhaps your solution can be used to solve the other case.

Best,

exa065

Hide this!Advertise here!