exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 128 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 03:24 PM   #1271
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok, I get it

As you know, long ago the exaSound team of developers made the decision to stay away from USB 2.0 Audio. We did that not because we are arrogant, we didn't like it. It is a standard produced by a committee, it is everything to everyone, it is overcomplicated and we couldn't find straightforward support for key functionality that we need. One day we may use it, not now. We invested 3 years of R&D to produce a no-compromise signal path, and we have enthusiastic support from our customers. Our number one goal is sound quality, compatibility with the rest of the jungle is secondary. If you are a DIY person, you should know how to install a driver. Consumers know how to do it, and they don't find it difficult. It is a onetime deal, you install it and you forget about it.

I've just came back from CES/The Show Las Vegas. There was a Mytek DAC in every third room, and I couldn't find a single one playing high-resolution audio. I've seen error messages on the computer screens caused by their drivers and "No Lock" flashing sign on the unit display. Our drivers are rock solid, easy to install and use, and sampling rate switching is automatic on Mac and Windows ASIO. We provide driver updates very quickly when there are issues.

Talking Linux, it shouldn't be that difficult for us to write the driver and dashboard. It will be our first development project on this platform, so it will be fun. Our developers have just installed Ubuntu in virtual machines. We will play with ALSA and Jack. Any feedback is appreciated, this is a new kind of adventure for us.

Best,

exa065
Old 16th January 2013, 04:21 PM   #1272
diyAudio Member

This sounds great...

Alsa would be perfect...maybe a cooperation with the creator of mpdpup would help as that is a basis for guys who wants a good sounding and easy to install solution...

Best Regards and Thanks a lot
Old 16th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #1273
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
This sounds great...

Yes, it does
Old 17th January 2013, 10:48 PM   #1274
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
As you know, long ago the exaSound team of developers made the decision to stay away from USB 2.0 Audio.
I think the decision is very reasonable even in the current situation. The superior performance of your product in terms of hires and multi-channel must have been achieved by your good decision of ASIO choice.
Old 20th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #1275
phi is offline phi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default New features

There has been suggestions for being able to run a plethora of DAC's like the TDA1541's, PCM1704 etc.

A real advantage would be to be able to run these balanced.
This would mean 4 more signals out with inverted data.

I would really put this high on my wish list.

Keep up the good work.

(( Per

P.S. Put me on the list if you want someone buying and bets-testing your new design.
Old 26th January 2013, 02:36 PM   #1276
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Here's some pics of my test setup.

Currently using:
EXAU2I USB-->I2S
TPA BII with 100Mhz clock
Mix of Paul Hynes and Trident regs
Sigma 11 main PSU
Dual Tube-I-Zator for I/V
Salas SSHV2 high tension

Sounds extremely good! I'm currently building the OPC's NTD1 I/V which will become my main I/V stage.

Click the image to open in full size.

I can only say good things about the EXAU2I. Much better sound than my SPDIF. More micro details! Really enjoy it!

Do
Old 9th February 2013, 04:23 AM   #1277
gogu is offline gogu  United States
diyAudio Member

"We are considering 2 channel and 8 channel versions"

Hello,
I understand that the original exaU2I can be configured for 8, 4 or 2 channels. Any reason to lose this versatility in the new one?
Old 9th February 2013, 11:08 AM   #1278
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

The eight-channel version will be able to work in two-channel mode. The four-channel mode will not be supported anymore.
Old 10th February 2013, 05:30 AM   #1279
gogu is offline gogu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
The eight-channel version will be able to work in two-channel mode. The four-channel mode will not be supported anymore.
Thank you
Old 11th February 2013, 09:08 AM   #1280
APK is offline APK  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can you please clarify, If I was to use J Rivers MC18 DSP as a crossover outputting 4 channels R Hf, R Lf, L Hf and L Lf The new unit could not work in this mode?

Tony

Hide this!Advertise here!