exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 10:11 PM   #1121
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Note taken. We will do better next time.
Old 27th June 2012, 01:41 PM   #1122
diyAudio Member

I've just moved the discussion about using exaU2I with the Twisted Pear SPDIF Transceiver to a new thread: exaU2I Connected to the Twisted Pear SPDIF Transceiver. This is a brand new application for exaU2I and it deserves its own space.

Last edited by exa065; 27th June 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 30th June 2012, 09:33 PM   #1123
kschiu is offline kschiu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just curious, with the EXAU2I, assuming the same software is used, does the PC matter any more? i.e. AMD vs Intel Cores vs Intel ATOM, slow vs fast CPU, quality of the USB port/cable/length etc?
Old 1st July 2012, 03:52 AM   #1124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschiu View Post
Just curious, with the EXAU2I, assuming the same software is used, does the PC matter any more? i.e. AMD vs Intel Cores vs Intel ATOM, slow vs fast CPU, quality of the USB port/cable/length etc?
Depend who you ask. Theoretically the PC etc. doesn't matter anymore. In my personal experience, if the CPU is fast enough to keep up with the data stream, and the PC power is within the industry standard norms, the sound is not affected by the computer hardware. I've seen situations when the USB power is below 4.4V, and I've seen USB controllers that are not doing their job. In general, an average PC is not affecting the sound quality. I've done blind tests of exaU2I, and so far I haven't met an audiophile that can reliably identify the sound of different computers or USB cables.

Many will disagree, and I respect their opinions. I am always interested to participate in listening tests, and to experience different ways of doing high-end audio.

Regards,
exa065
Old 1st July 2012, 04:26 AM   #1125
diyAudio Member

Default Ground isolation - with and without

Here are exaU2I /ES9018 DAC noise floor measurements with and without ground isolation. Both measurements are taken with the exaU2I USB cable connected to a standard PC: no special power supplies or filters, regular hard drive, I7 CPU, standard USB 2.0 controller. The exaU2I is powered by the USB cable. For the second measurement the USB ground is connected to the DVCC DAC ground with 1MOhm resistor.

You can clearly see the benefit of using Galvanic isolation. It is impossible to achieve this level of common noise suppression with USB and SATA filters, audiophile grade USB controllers, or by "cleaning" computer power lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFT Spectrum GND-I.jpg (59.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg FFT Spectrum GND-C.jpg (64.9 KB, 280 views)
Old 1st July 2012, 04:40 AM   #1126
kschiu is offline kschiu  Canada
diyAudio Member

thanks George.

that's exactly what I want to hear. Getting an audiophile grade PC costs a fortune after I did some research. linear power supply, fanless cooling with Intel cores ... special USB cards ... silver SATA and USB cables ... no thanks. I thought the EXA is to eliminate all of those requirements.

But then, what's the minimum requirement on the CPU? Is an ATOM fast enough?
Old 1st July 2012, 06:13 AM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschiu View Post
thanks George.

that's exactly what I want to hear. Getting an audiophile grade PC costs a fortune after I did some research. linear power supply, fanless cooling with Intel cores ... special USB cards ... silver SATA and USB cables ... no thanks. I thought the EXA is to eliminate all of those requirements.

But then, what's the minimum requirement on the CPU? Is an ATOM fast enough?
yes i'm pricing a PC ATM.. it can add up very fast depending on which specs you choose.

how much memory? sorry if you have mentioned this earlier.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:42 PM   #1128
diyAudio Member

Our ASIO drivers are very efficient. An Atom CPU can support 384kHz / 4 channels at about 40% load. I recommend i5 CPU and 4GB memory to be able to handle audio and HD video.
Old 1st July 2012, 02:04 PM   #1129
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Our ASIO drivers are very efficient. An Atom CPU can support 384kHz / 4 channels at about 40% load.
Atom CPU running Linux and 384kHz / 2 channels is about 1 - 2% load.
I do not want to think of what evils the 39% in difference are causing.
So I am waiting for ALSA drivers to use the exaU2I with MPD

Last edited by RayCtech; 1st July 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 02:10 PM   #1130
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the Foobar visualizations, I don't have an Atom net-book handy to redo the test.
(When I come to see you later this month, we can compare apples with apples )

Last edited by exa065; 1st July 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!