exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2012, 01:24 AM   #1091
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default USB Optical Isolator

Has anyone tried this product?

SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Over Fiber Optic Expansion System:Amazon:Electronics
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:29 AM   #1092
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the link, Bunpei. Unfortunately this device costs as much as a good USB to I2S interface. exaU2I solves the ground isolation issue. There is no need to go overboard on one particular feature. Look at the exaU2I measurements - www.exadevices.com > exaU2I > Measurements. There is no trace of USB induced noise. There is no evidence if the impact of GMR phase noise either.

-Best,

exa065
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:19 AM   #1093
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I'm checking the beginning of the thread, and I would like to know if you have abandoned the development of a WDM or it's just posponed for the future?

Also, when you'll move to usb3 (likely next year or even later), will it be possible to upgrade the board or a new pcb will be needed?
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:53 PM   #1094
phi is offline phi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Hi George,

I'm checking the beginning of the thread, and I would like to know if you have abandoned the development of a WDM or it's just posponed for the future?

Also, when you'll move to usb3 (likely next year or even later), will it be possible to upgrade the board or a new pcb will be needed?
Just curious, why do you need USB3? The exa-unit can already handle 32bits and 384kHz with 8 channels. Need more?

(( Per
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:06 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi View Post
Just curious, why do you need USB3? The exa-unit can already handle 32bits and 384kHz with 8 channels. Need more?

(( Per
Yes, 8 channels @32/705khz each.
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:36 PM   #1096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, 8 channels @32/705khz each.
Why?
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:01 PM   #1097
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
By the way I use Lovoltech LU1014D JFETs in my regulators even in my class A power amplifiers as they work "full function" with as little as 0.6 to 0.8 voltage drop over them...
Nice, i can finally find a use for my stock of lovoltechs ))
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:23 PM   #1098
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi George,

At the present time the WDM development is on hold. USB 3 will require completely new design.

The reason that there is no new development around exaU2I is that we've reached the point of diminishing returns. WDM will appeal to new customers, but in our experience there is no quality improvement compared to ASIO. It is just another, more difficult and more risky way of doing the same thing. Doubling the sampling rate for two channels is possible within the bandwidth of USB 2, and also with USB 3. A 768 kHz device will appeal to a very limited group of owners of very high-end systems.

With other words exaU2I is not the bottle neck in our systems.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:28 PM   #1099
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
At the present time the WDM development is on hold. USB 3 will require completely new design.

The reason that there is no new development around exaU2I is that we've reached the point of diminishing returns. WDM will appeal to new customers, but in our experience there is no quality improvement compared to ASIO.
Remind me/us, how you can listen to lossless multichannel audio using Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, Arcsoft TMT, VLC or MPC-HC with an ASIO driver.

Isn't there another application that you have to run that supports multichannel playback with these non-ASIO applications? How is that working, are there any problems with audio/video sync?
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:58 PM   #1100
diyAudio Member

The audio router application that exa recommends costs 50$ and it's limited to 192khz. The biggest advantage of exa2ui for me is the higher samplerate it supports.

Hide this!Advertise here!