Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 01:28 AM   #1071
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyvine View Post
Hallelujah!
It might also be a good idea to spend some time into marketing/documentation to gain some more customers(me for instance). I do not understand what sets the exa apart in "bit-perfectness". Therefore I do not "buy" that argument. A white paper could perhaps convince me and bring me on board. Undocumented claims tends to do the opposite.

regards,
ōyvin
Sure, I will try to put together a white paper. Most of the information is on our websites.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:25 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

George,

Have you thought about changing the LED for 352 to light up for 384 instead of or in addition to 352. Jriver supports 384. I suspect more people would use 384 then 352. It works with my setup.

By the way, you were right about being patient with the Exa / BIII setup. It does take a while to get used to the sound. I am convinced that it is the best thing I have ever heard in my listening room. This with everything from CD's to hi res downloads. Every once in a while I get some weird things out of it. This usually happens on recording with a lot of reverb from the 80's and 90's. I think that this might be due to the fact that the recording engineer never heard the song through a state of the art DAC. They over did the reverb to get the effect they wanted. Only within the last few years could we hear it the way it was recorded verses they way they wanted it to sound.

John
Old 4th April 2012, 02:42 AM   #1073
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

Thank you for posting back about your listening experience. All of us are so used to the sound of the mainstream audio equipment, that it takes a while to appreciate the sound of exaU2I - the flood of detail and the lack of makeup and extra spices. I remember the reaction of a friend of mine, when he listened for the first time to my system. I played a piece from "Brothers in Arms" - 24bit/96kHz 5.1, and his comment was: "This is not the voice of Mark Knopfler"

To answer your question - there is a unique LED combination for 384 kHz - The FIFO light is On, and all frequency indicator lights are Off.

-Best,
George
Old 6th April 2012, 05:53 PM   #1074
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default DSD256 and DSD512 play with TPA Buffalo II

I could play DSD256 and DSD512 audio sources with the combination of ExaU2I and TPA Buffalo II. It's amazing!

As for the DSD256 source, I converted a sample file of WSD format available on "1 bit consortium" web site. In the case of DSD512, I crafted it from 2L DXD sample file. It's not an originally recorded one.
In the both cases, Korg AudioGate program was useful for WSD->DFF and WAV->DFF conversion.

Bunpei
Old 7th April 2012, 09:37 AM   #1075
diyAudio Member

I understood that a new version of the exa is not in planning, but what I do would like to understand: How could a cost-no-object, hardcore 2 channel-version look like ? Better clocks ? Better Powersupply ? What all could be done to max it out ?
Old 13th April 2012, 07:23 PM   #1076
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 14th April 2012, 07:06 AM   #1077
ccclapp is offline ccclapp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I understood that a new version of the exa is not in planning, but what I do would like to understand: How could a cost-no-object, hardcore 2 channel-version look like ? Better clocks ? Better Powersupply ? What all could be done to max it out ?
Correct me if Im wrong, but the exaU2I dies not have either a clock or a power supply. Both are within the the B-II/B-III (the DAC). the exa card is the interface between the computer and the DAC.

Or, are you asking what you could do to upgrade the DAC?
Old 20th April 2012, 01:23 AM   #1078
ccclapp is offline ccclapp  United States
diyAudio Member

just reporting this morning at 2am I got sound from by 8-ch Buffalo III / exaU2I config (so far in 2-ch until I get some resistors and a few supplies to connect my three remaining Ivy's)...

so far so good...
Old 20th April 2012, 10:01 AM   #1079
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Anyone compared this interface to the WaveIO (possibly using 24/176k material)?
Old 20th April 2012, 10:58 AM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Anyone compared this interface to the WaveIO (possibly using 24/176k material)?

WaveIO is great but the Exa is much better with all kinds of sample rates, I have them both and wish they were in the same league...

Last edited by Nikola Krivorov; 20th April 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!