exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2012, 02:57 AM   #1031
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
Guys, JRiver now supports DSD bit-streaming Can we expect something similar for the exaU2I?

Thanks,
Jim
Yes, It is under development
Old 15th March 2012, 03:02 AM   #1032
jdubs is offline jdubs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Yes, It is under development
When you say its "under development", do you mean that you are currently working with the JRiver guys on DSD streaming to the exaU2I and the e18 DAC?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 15th March 2012, 03:08 AM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedefede View Post
I'm shure this has been asked before somewhere, but cant find it ... so:

According to diy-guide, i should connect power to exaU2I from DACs DVCC. I use ackodac, that has split DVCC in top ring, and bottom ring: DVCC_T, DVCC_B

- which one to use?
- or just use a separate (superior) supply? (as ackodac will run syncron-mode with clock from exa)
I would use DVCC_T, it powers the top pad of the chip and it is located next to the data pins. It has to be 3.3v and it is important NOT to use a separate power supply.

The idea of using DVCC is to drive current trough the GMRs, into the DAC I2S inputs. exaU2I is isolated, so our power supply (USB) cannot do that. Additional power supply won't work either, you need a closed circuit for the current to flow. This job really belongs to the power source used for DVCC.

The synchronous mode of operation is not related to the DVCC connection. You need to do follow the same rules.

Regards,

George
Old 15th March 2012, 08:15 PM   #1034
DjSinae is offline DjSinae  Canada
diyAudio Member

What about low latency asio drivers for music production?

are they release? what is the latency when using the 8channel?
very important....
Old 15th March 2012, 08:34 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Not important at all. exaU2I is optimized for audiophile grade playback, not recording. The requirements for recording are in conflict with the requirements for playback.

Artists need low latency to avoid echo while recording. Audiophiles need asynchronous operation to achieve immunity against computer hiccups. ASIO is a very powerful tool, and it can be used for more than one application.

Sorry, recording is out of topic here.
Old 15th March 2012, 08:52 PM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSinae View Post
Who said recording?? I said low latency playback...

Anyway... what about movie watching or games?? you think audiophile don't do that... they listen to mozart all day long...
In 8 channel / 384 kHz mote the latency is around 7-11 ms. In 2 channel / 44.1 kHz the latency is 37 ms. Using the driver in 8 channel mode will not cause visible difference between video and audio timing.

I hope this helps.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:00 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

what about 8/44khz?

it seem to have low latency good for audiophile playback.. but not for the rest...

for games, movies and music production .. near 2-6ms is the acceptable latency for the source..

it seems only RME have found how to do really low latency usb asio drivers..

Also, processing power taken by the asio driver should be extremely low.
RME are running their internal mixers on dsp chips..
Old 15th March 2012, 09:07 PM   #1038
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSinae View Post
what about 8/44khz?

it seem to have low latency good for audiophile playback.. but not for the rest...

for games, movies and music production .. near 2-6ms is the acceptable latency for the source..

it seems only RME have found how to do really low latency usb asio drivers..

Also, processing power taken by the asio driver should be extremely low.
RME are running their internal mixers on dsp chips..
exaU2U sounds much better than RME. When you optimize for one thing, you loose the other. Our ASIO driver is also very efficient, I can listen to 384 kHz on an Atom net-book.

DSP and bit-perfect are two incompatible consents. with exaU2I we offer bit-perfect.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:25 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

good i think RME soso SQ is because of the dacs they use and not the usb to dac implementation.. they offer also bitperfect playback but i guess when enable it bypass the internal dsp mixer..

as for processing power, i guess the only way would be to compare them side by side on the same machine.

Your product seem interesting.. im trying to find a way to have a low latency active system (FIR crossover and DRC) with audiophile SQ(dac, usb to i2s) without have to buy the Deqx HDP-4

it's a mess.. it's seems there is no low cost alternative.. sad
Old 15th March 2012, 09:30 PM   #1040
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
In 8 channel / 384 kHz mote the latency is around 7-11 ms. In 2 channel / 44.1 kHz the latency is 37 ms. Using the driver in 8 channel mode will not cause visible difference between video and audio timing.

I hope this helps.
It would be nice if you had a mixer panel with a feature that lets you speed up or slow down the audio so you had perfect lip-sync. I know some of the player apps have this feature, but not all of them do. If you use Windows Media Center for watching DVDs and Blu-rays, you can't make these adjustments.

Hide this!Advertise here!