exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 01:56 PM   #1001
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotani View Post
Thank you very much for your quick response. Does this mean that if I were to be able to find a ASIO sound card, with an audio input jack, I would be able to use the exaU2I directly in the software?

Also, would there be any disadvantages by using the VAC method?
In my case it didn't work with EMU0404. Audiolense insists on using the same ASIO device for Input and output.

Theoretically if you use the proper sampling rates, you will be able to avoid re-sampling. If the Windows volume control is set to 0dB, VAC is supposed to be bit perfect. The only remaining compromising factor is the Windows mixer.

It is worth it to try it. Please tell us about your results.
Old 20th February 2012, 02:07 PM   #1002
kotani is offline kotani  Japan
diyAudio Member

Thank you for testing it out so quickly!

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but like I said before, I plan on using the convolver in Jriver. I would like to use the native exaU2I asio drivers in Jriver, but if I make the convolver file with VAC, would I also be forced to use VAC in Jriver as an output device?

I am still researching this, so I may find an answer somewhere. Still new to Convolver....

Btw, I have your exaU2I setup with the Buffalo 3 dac in my car(Perhaps worlds first?). It sounds truly amazing!
Unfortunately, it's still a passive XO setup, but I plan on making it a 3-way active XO setup, with "room correction" with audiolense...

I will let everyone know the result...
Old 20th February 2012, 02:15 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotani View Post
Thank you for testing it out so quickly!

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but like I said before, I plan on using the convolver in Jriver. I would like to use the native exaU2I asio drivers in Jriver, but if I make the convolver file with VAC, would I also be forced to use VAC in Jriver as an output device?

I am still researching this, so I may find an answer somewhere. Still new to Convolver....

Btw, I have your exaU2I setup with the Buffalo 3 dac in my car(Perhaps worlds first?). It sounds truly amazing!
Unfortunately, it's still a passive XO setup, but I plan on making it a 3-way active XO setup, with "room correction" with audiolense...

I will let everyone know the result...
You need to test the filters in JRiver with both ASIO and VAC. Let's hope that it will sound identical. I prefer using ASIO because of the automatic sampling rate switching. and the guaranteed 32-bit-perfect processing.
Old 20th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedefede View Post
Agreed! PLEASE continue the development of mk II
Thank you for your support! I just couldn't see the demand for exaU2I MKii, so I committed the company resources to another project. Part of the issue is that exaU2I works quite well - check the measurements. It there is enough action, I can come back to this project. Perhaps a pre-order system or a "group buy" is the way to go.

-Best,
exa065
Old 20th February 2012, 03:49 PM   #1005
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Thank you for your support! I just couldn't see the demand for exaU2I MKii, so I committed the company resources to another project. Part of the issue is that exaU2I works quite well - check the measurements. It there is enough action, I can come back to this project. Perhaps a pre-order system or a "group buy" is the way to go.

-Best,
exa065
Hi exa065,

Problem is that most people don't need the 8 channels and that makes it quite expensive for just 2 channels use when there are many good XMOS solutions already available to purchase.

I don't know about the others but I would certainly commit to a pre-buy or a GB if you retained all features but remove the 6 other channels. Only need a stereo setup. Price would need to be competitive with other solutions as well. Of course still see what the DIYaudio community would want in a MKII if doing a GB...

Best regards
Do
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:59 AM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
During the past few weeks I took some measurements of exaU2I connected to our first DAC prototype, code-named the BlackDAC. Here they are.
Very nice. :-D

So is this the e18 DAC, or something else? :con fused:
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:42 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewantsmoore View Post
Very nice. :-D

So is this the e18 DAC, or something else? :con fused:
Thanks! As I've mentioned, the measurements are taken with our first DAC prototype, code-named the BlackDAC. The BlackDac was produced before the exaU2I and it was never released. We have several units and we use them for experiments.

e18 has a different built-in USB to I2S interface and cannot be connected to the exaU2I.

Last edited by exa065; 22nd February 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:17 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Default exaU2I - NTD1

Earlier this month I attended the DIY Ottawa Winter Fest. It was a real pleasure to meet this great group of seasoned DIYers to talk about, and listen to their creations. I am building two of OPC's Wire amplifiers and I had the opportunity to meet him and to see his work.

The pictures: exaU2I connected to OPC's NTD1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0053.JPG (94.9 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0060.JPG (105.6 KB, 393 views)
Old 22nd February 2012, 04:35 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Earlier this month I attended the DIY Ottawa Winter Fest. It was a real pleasure to meet this great group of seasoned DIYers to talk about, and listen to their creations. I am building two of OPC's Wire amplifiers and I had the opportunity to meet him and to see his work.

The pictures: exaU2I connected to OPC's NTD1.
Looks great! I am still waiting to have my NTD1 finished as it is a very complicated build (including an EXAU2I ), did you have a chance to hear how it sounds?

Please give us the ExaU2I MkII, please...
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:14 PM   #1010
mcspack is offline mcspack  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

I was able to get past my error earlier on OSX, it was just that my USB serial cable driver was interfering so I deleted its kext, rebooted and was able to connect the EXA. All is good now!

thanks for your help,

Will

Hide this!Advertise here!