best way to isolate CD-player from vibration - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Default best way to isolate CD-player from vibration

I knew this was going to happen, when making my new ported speakers with 15" going flat to 25 Hz and each powered by 400 Watts

My Lenco CD-player can't handle the vibrations at higher volumes, and shuts down momentarily

My house has a wooden floor where the speakers are placed, the CD-player is placed in a rack on the same floor (I know! Not the best solution)

Has one of you experienced the same problem, and found a good solution ?

Back in time, when LP's was the source I had my turntable hanging from the selaing placed in a sand filled box and with rubber bands as vibration absorbers
Worked just amazing but not a pretty sight
Old 8th April 2007, 04:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: best way to isolate CD-player from vibration

Hi Jan,

This one of the most fun and cheap parts of DIY. I've messed around with rubbber bouncing balls, squash balls, sand trays, inner tubes, concrete slabs ...... but have finally settled on large sorbothane feet for convenience. Most methods work quite well but I like the idea that sand and sorbothane doesn't resonate like rubber. I did have fun experimenting though.

Do you think that some of the problem could also be airborne and require mass tuning or repositioning away from resonant spaces?
Old 8th April 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Sonusthree

Frankly I´m afraid that some of my problems are also airborne due to the lhigh output and very low frequency (at 20-25 Hz).

I will start with trying some different ways to isolate the CD-player from vibrations from the floor, and if thats not working, I have to go the "long way" and try to repositioning the CD-player (which isn't easy, when the wife also has something to say c )
Old 8th April 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan, I hope you are well.

Repositionig may not be absolutely necessary.
It would be interesting to use a test tone disc and find out which frequencies are the problem. Then, you could see how added mass (from self adhesive bitumen to concrete!!) or mechanical isolation helps.
You have a very interesting problem to solve here. Me, I just try to make it sound a little better but you have a pretty black or white goal to achieve.

More mass will help the airborne problem or at least shift it to a less problematic frequency.
Mechanical isolation would definitely help as long as it is, itself, non resonant.
Mechanical damping: Try bitumen (dynamat or similar) on the case panels. The constrained layer damping will help to dissipate some energy. Try some bags filled with sand in any safe space you have inside the player.
You should definitely experiment. It would be great to have a stethoscope and listen to the different surfaces of your player and your rack.

It reminds me of trying to D.J. vinyl in clubs when I was a little younger. The ultimate aim was to whip the crowd into a frenzy on the dance floor but some venues had badly designed suspended wooden flooring.
More excited dancing people = More jumping needles. It was sometimes a mess. Most places had concrete slabs under the decks or big and wobbly foam pads!! It wasn't pretty but it did usually work. I like your idea of elastic though.

I try to isolate my player from vibrations as much as reasonably possible. I'm not really sure that it's necessary but it just makes sense somehow as long as it's not expensive.
I'll post a couple of pics later.

Regards,
Martin.
Old 8th April 2007, 09:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I made this very simple isolation board from two cheap pine shelves back to back. Perhaps pine is a little resonant but it was very cheap and looks quite good. It rests on cut rubber balls.
I don't use it any more because the CD player already has sorbothane feet but this particular sorbothane leaks brown liquid and the shelf is there to stop me being shouted at!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isolation board.jpg (53.2 KB, 338 views)
Old 8th April 2007, 09:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

My amplifiers rest on a Cyrus Isoplat which is a Fibreboard/MDF panel with sorbothane/metal cup feet. This makes more sense since the fibreboard is 'lossy' and less resonant. The idea of sorbothane is very interesting since it is a visco - elastic material and possesses many of the properties of a liquid. It's worth noting that sorbothane comes in different grades and the Isoplat's sorbothane is much harder than the stuff under my CD player.

Best regards,
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isolation.jpg (90.0 KB, 329 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 04:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your info and pics Sonusthree

I'll do some experiments with my test CD and some fibreboards with different feets
Old 9th April 2007, 11:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Jan,

Before you run out to purchase some expensive dampening material .... have you tried mounting your CD player on springs?
My Jukebox has springs and rubber cushions from the factory for the CD Pro Player and this eliminates any problems associated with low frequency or audio level.
Old 9th April 2007, 11:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You could make a platform with magnetic feet

That would isolate structural vibrations quite well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnetic-feet.jpg (10.5 KB, 271 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 12:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

burnedfingers;
Thanks for the tip
I wasn't going "big shopping", but use some materials that I have in the house or get my fingers on at the work

quickshift;
Maybe I will try that. I got acces to diff. magnets at work
Have you actually tried this yourself ??

Hide this!Advertise here!