weak link in my chain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have been looking to upgrade my audio system. Currently, I am running a sony cd player (CDP-CE215), into a Harmon-Kardon preamp (Citation 21), and Sony Headphones (MDR-V150). I was wondering what the weakest link in this system is.

I would think it would be my cans, and I have been looking at a pair of Grado SR80's to replace them. They sound great in the store, but I have not been able to take home to try with my rig. The SR80's, however, have a reputation of highlighting any shortcomings in the system. Is the rest of my system up to par? I do have a Nikamichi AV-300 or a JVC XV-S300 that can replace my preamp or cd player respectivly.

Thanks,
distorted

Enter the 21st century and dump the CD player altogether. Get a squeezebox.

Actually, the headphones will make a bigger difference than anything else in the system (except maybe speakers). If most of your listening is done via headphones, I'd make sure they are comfortable for long listening sessions. The most comfortable phones I've ever tried were some Sennheiser HD-580s (?) about 10 years ago. They do not apply any pressure to the ear- the drivers fit entirely over the ear making for real long term comfort.

Grados remind me of the govt surplus things that ham operators used to buy for listening to SW radios. Anything that presses against your ear will get uncomfortable.

I_F

I_Forgot said:
Grados remind me of the govt surplus things that ham operators used to buy for listening to SW radios. Anything that presses against your ear will get uncomfortable.

I_F

Man, that comment really hits home, I recieved my general class ham cert 6 months ago (with the code).

I did hook my JVC up and I must say that the D/A converter in it is better than the one in my sony. I will look into the Sennhisers. The 580's are about double the price of the grados, but they seem to have many equivilent models.

Thanks for the replies,
distorted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.