Saving Posts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2003, 05:21 PM   #1
Bobken is offline Bobken  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Saving Posts

Hi,

I only joined on Xmas day, and am having some frustrating times.

I have done a search on this topic, but only two threads came up. The first was more about 'Saving' the Forum, but I looked at all the pages just in case, the second was 22 pages long and didn't also seem to be about my problem, so I gave up with this after several pages.

I have already clocked up over 100 posts, (some I had to edit because they exceeded the limit of characters!) so I am taking the Forum seriously, or I wouldn't otherwise waste anyone else's time in asking this.

The problem is that my ISP times me out automatically every two hours, presumably to make sure I haven't gone to sleep!

If, as has happened three times now, I am in the middle of a post or a reply to one, I always lose what I have already written, which can be hours of work for me as I am rather slow at typing.

I am using Windows 98SE, and although the screen I am on remains, and I can add to my comments in the window, as soon as I try to re-establish contact with the Forum, the wretched thing disappears.

After fervent searching, I can recover the screen, but the narrative has by this time gone for good.

The second time I had problems, I tried saving it before I was timed out (using save as to My Docs), but again when I recovered it, there was only the 'outline' and peripherals of the Forum page, but nothing of what I had written in the window.

Using software like Norton, and Go back, and Windows Search or Find (whatever it is called), I can access all of my folders and when I find anything with the correct reference, it is always merely the outline etc, but no wording of mine.

I am quite new to computers, and will try anything, but after wasting probably best part of a whole day now (in dribs and drabs) I have to accept that I am beaten with this one.

Please can anyone help me with this?

Regards,

P.S. on checking this, I seem to have got it in the wrong section, it was meant to be in "anything else". I am sorry, but although I am now in the 'edit' screen, I cannot readily see how you change this over and I don't want to lose another posting by being timed out again!
Old 15th January 2003, 05:36 PM   #2
OliverD is offline OliverD  Germany
diyAudio Member

I suggest using cut & paste:

CUT: From time to time, mark what you have written by dragging the mouse over the text, holding down the left key. Then press CTRL + INS. This copies the selected text to the clipboard.

PASTE: When you get disconnected, just reconnect, reload the page, place the cursor in the text window and press SHIFT + INS. You can also paste your text into a different window, for example an editor window. This way, you can save the text to your harddisk.
Old 15th January 2003, 05:42 PM   #3
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You can solve this problem (if you don't solve the problem with your ISP), save your post even if it isn't finished yet. Start write at the bottom that you aren't finished so you don't get people to comment your half finished text.
If you get disconnected you can easily within 30 minutes edit again.

To the webmaster:
PLEASE MAKE THE EDITING TIME LONGER. One week had been OK but I settle for 24 hours.
Old 15th January 2003, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AMT-freak
I suggest using cut & paste:

CUT: From time to time, mark what you have written by dragging the mouse over the text, holding down the left key. Then press CTRL + INS. This copies the selected text to the clipboard.

PASTE: When you get disconnected, just reconnect, reload the page, place the cursor in the text window and press SHIFT + INS. You can also paste your text into a different window, for example an editor window. This way, you can save the text to your harddisk.
Hi,

Thank you very much. I will try this the next time it occurs.

Regards,
Old 15th January 2003, 05:46 PM   #5
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

AMT-Freak,
I think you mean "copy" the text from time to time and paste to recover your text. It you drag your cursor then right click and select copy, it is IMO quicker.
PS Welcome to the forum Bobken, I enjoyed reading your post concerning caps.
Old 15th January 2003, 05:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Thread moved!

We are looking at the editing time for posts as part of the current overhaul, but the reason we don't want give too long is to prevent people posting abuse and then removing it again before we can take action.

Finished

If you are doing a really complex or long post, you can write it in a text editor first, then cut and paste into the reply box
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2003, 06:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all of the advice, and for redirecting my post to the right area.
This was my first " new thread" and having realised my ****-up, I really couldn't see how to correct it in the 'edit' screen.

I cannot take it up with my ISP as it is part of the 24/7 agreement with them that they always cut you off like this. You can immediately reconnect, though, but this was no help to me in this case.
I guess it is a device to prevent users from simply remaining connected to the net permanently, and maybe slowing things down unnecessarily for others.

I like the idea of setting posts up in another area as I am still so slow, presumably Wordpad would be OK as I have this, but does anyone know about whether I can transfer a post to say Wordpad for me to comment on or to quote from.

Would something like 'copy and paste' do this for me too?
I am a little nervous about screwing up someone else's post unwittingly by trying things out like this, until I am more knowledgeable on the computer side of things.

Many thanks to you all.

Regards
Old 15th January 2003, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Don't worry, you can't mess with anyone elses post

Copy and paste will work across 99% of programs, the only thing to beware of is that you might muck up some of the formatting codes,(in square brackets), but you should be ok.

You might want to read the FAQ, ( a button at the top of every page).
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2003, 08:27 PM   #9
remp is offline remp  New Zealand
Account Disabled

You could write up your whole post off line in say notepad taking as long as you need, and saving regularly, and when you are ready to post select edit. select all, copy which puts your text into Windows clipboard. Then go online and in the post window just put your cursor on the top line, select edit, then paste and your whole post which you did offline will be tranfered into the post window.
Old 15th January 2003, 10:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks, again for all of your help.

I am confident I will be able to sort my difficulties out satisfactorily now.

Prior to this, I couldn't understand why, even when I had successfully saved the screen, that the typed content had vanished, but this gives me several choices as to how I can overcome this.

I really am very grateful.

Kind Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!