Network Suggestions Needed: +6 dB @ 84 Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I'm working with transformers and speakers. What I have been trying to come up with is a network, preferably simple, with the following characteristics.

0 dB 20,000 Hz down to 120 Hz
+6 dB @84 Hz
0 dB from 60 Hz on down

I have set up a simple spice schematic. I tried a capacitor in parallel with the transformer secondary but the response dropped off over 120 Hz or so.

Here is one schematic:

Attachments

• network needed 2.gif
    network needed 2.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 86
Joined 2001
Well, just to make things clearer, I would like to know a simple circuit to transform the voltage across the load, (R2), in either of the two circuits so it resembles the BOTTOM curve, not the top.

Is that possible? Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• both together two.gif
    both together two.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 74
Joined 2001
I really do need some help here, or at least some advice.

After messing around for several weeks on this, this is the schematic I came up with. I am self-taught, and have some idea about LC circuits but I am really hoping for some help from somebody familiar with them.

Below is the schematic. It seems to work fine for a trafo with a 2mH inductance, but I don't know if that inductance gets it done as far as coupling factor goes. Most audio Xformers are of greater inductance I am told.

I was hoping to scale the values for an audio transformer of greater inductance if such an audio transformer is necessary. However, my scaling efforts seem to change the shape of the output curve radically.

A) Can anyone tell me how to scale the values of this circuit so that the curve is preserved with a transformer of much greater inductance?

B) What would be a good inductance to make the transformer?

C) If this circuit is not good, does anyone have any suggestions for a better one?

Attachments

• comples schematic.gif
    comples schematic.gif
    15.5 KB · Views: 55
Joined 2001
And here is the waveform it gives. The shape of the waveform is what I want, but I am not sure this circuit is the right one to deliver it. The 8 ohm load at R2 is a substitute for a loudspeaker, although the ohmage does not seem to vary the circuit much.

The proposed use is a PA cab, so high frequency response is not really of the essence.

If this circuit is not good, any idea on how to achieve this shape peaking at 84 Hz?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I have been trying this for months.

The graph is below. Click on the thumbnail and a waveform will become evident.

Attachments

• complex schematic graph 2.gif
    complex schematic graph 2.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 59
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
He is peaking the response.

Hi Kelticwizard,
This looks like an odd loser network. You would have to either resonate the woofer in that region and may possibly have to pad down the other drivers as well as use a bandpass on the woofer.

Do you have a response "suck out" there, or you trying to add some impact to bass hits?

-Chris

Hi,

One things for certain, you cannot treat the loudspeaker as a resistive
load at these frequencies, it is anything but that, and will interact
severely with any input network.

Now a sealed PA speaker with Qts = 2 and Finbox = 85Hz, easyish.

;)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 33
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.