diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   I always knew alcohol improved sound quality! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/98524-i-always-knew-alcohol-improved-sound-quality.html)

sharpi31 20th March 2007 05:13 PM

I always knew alcohol improved sound quality!

We all know booze improves the experience of listening to music (when liberally applied to the listener) but whoever thought that you'd get an improvement when it is applied to a loudspeaker!

Alcoholic speakers

sharpi31 20th March 2007 05:15 PM

If only they had fitted hemp drive units - then we'd have a real party loudspeaker!

imix500 20th March 2007 05:21 PM

I bet those speakers smell Wonderful.

I_Forgot 20th March 2007 05:23 PM

It just goes to show that even the big name Japanese companies aren't adverse to taking advantage of audiophools. The idea that the oak will impart similar qualities to sound as it does to whiskey is pure nonsense. If you really were serious about something like this you'd want new oak- old whiskey barrels are retired when all the good chemicals have been leached out of them and thus are no longer able to impart good tastes and color to the whiskey. If they can no longer flavor the whiskey, what can they add to the sound?

Aren't speaker enclosures supposed to be rigid and NOT impart anything extra to the sound?

I_F

sharpi31 20th March 2007 05:33 PM

They should produce a 'Speyside' version with a light tonal balance and refreshingly clear presentation, and an 'Island' version for a richer warmth and darker background ;-)

(I'll get shot for saying this, but they could also make an 'American Bourbon' version: cheaper, overly sweet, no real depth and aimed at the mass market)

Oh, what fun it would be to work in hifi marketing or reviewing... Do you think any of them actually take themselves seriously, or do they just roll around in fits of laughter at the stuff they come up with?

Cal Weldon 20th March 2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by I_Forgot
taking advantage of audiophools.
That ad has made the rounds.

Yet to see the speaker.

jacco vermeulen 20th March 2007 09:46 PM

Mmm(@Master something copyright),

i wonder, how does one get a square loudspeaker out of a round barrel ?

jan.didden 20th March 2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sharpi31
[snip](I'll get shot for saying this, but they could also make an 'American Bourbon' version: cheaper, overly sweet, no real depth and aimed at the mass market)[snip]

Well, I always thought bourbon was best used as furniture lacquer. Turns out I was right all along:D

Jan Didden

phase_accurate 21st March 2007 07:32 AM

I wonder how much the sound of some speakers would improve if you completely immerse them in alcohol. *
Or how much it would improve some music....... :D :devilr:

Regards

Charles

* A further improvement might be if you drink the alcohol and use water from the tap for the immersion process. ;)

Pano 21st March 2007 08:43 PM

All kidding aside, if I had the chance to buy a bunch of 100 year old oak barrels and make speaker cabs out of them - I might.

That's gotta be some nice wood, at least for small dimensions. No telling what all the soaking has done for them, but I bet it doesn't sound or smell like MDF.

Hype aside, it's a nice use of the retired barrels.