Restoring Veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't use wax at all. If you do and find you don't like the look, or want to try something else instead, the wax will prevent anything else from sticking properly. And you'd probably never get it completely out of the pores of the wood if you tried to strip it.

It probably just had an oil/varnish mix originally, like Watco.

Hi

You can use danish oil directly on top of the existing finish on the cabinets if you lightly sand the finish first to break the surface.

You need to sand as the old finish is only on the surface and danish oil is a finish that penetrates slightly. The advantage of danish oil is that as it penetrates slightly it will not scuff and mark as easily.

If the cabinets are dirty celan first with a mixture as follows;
1/4 meths
1/4 white spirit
1/3 vinegar
1/4 linsead oil

You can also use the above as a cleaner / reviver for the danish oil. This is a better cleaner / reviver than wax which is not good for danish oil or shelac finishes as they need some linseed oil added occasionally to aviod cracking. Wax does not oil them and just attracts dirt.

Don

Hi
Sand paper is normally better than wire wool as it does not tend to not lift edges in the surface as much as wire wool can on occasions.

I did not say before but you can add as many coats of danish oil as you want but for most purposes two is sufficient with a day between coats for drying.

Don

pinkmouse said:
Oh, and the pic of the desk. It's not finished yet, this is just a test fitting to make sure it all goes together okay, and all my kit fits. ;)

Nice desk - here's a quick idea for you (which I've just for all my kids desks & PCs) - screw the socket strips to the top of the inside right side of the footwell... (I use the Belkin surge protector ones) - they hide nicely out of sight there...

Next, get some of that velcro cable tie stuff (hooks on one side, loops on the other. Using a #8 x 15mm screw with a washer, put a few along the back of the desk - poor man's cable tidy...

Magic - all the cables off the floor, tidy & hidden... (works for me)

Cheers

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Good idea, but I have these ready to go!

Attachments

• tidy.jpg
    tidy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.