HELP ! Smelly Circuit Board !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help !

I have a very nice little power amplifier, made by AIWA.

It smells !

There is an acrid smell which gets worse when it gets hot, either from use or just being in the sun. (It is not what I would call 'overheated transformer insulation' smell)

I cannot see any sign of overheating on the circuit board, no brown discolouration or cooked components.

Anybody any ideas ??

Would coating the board in conformal coating or varnish spray help ??

Andy

It's possible through age or contamination, the board is braking down into base components and offgassing. If this is so, there's nothing you can do besides replace it.

If it's something spilled on it, a chemical wash may help. Take a boo through a GC catalog.

Good luck!

I know that smell… :scratch:

I had the same problem with a RadioShack 4-Channel Mixer. Thing is, it DID smell like cat urine. I have four cats, so it's highly possible that at some point in time it was strangely only funny on the inside, as it was perfectly fine on the outside.

Could it be some sort of finishing that was applied to the PCB perhaps? Please let me know! :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I'm being serious :) just make sure the air freshener isn't flammable in case your amp gets hot and goes up in flames.

I might be on to something there... both sound and smell can be used to recreate the performance. I'd call it the sound and smell amp because it would emit various odors based on what music is playing. The smell of tuxedos and expensive perfume would go with opera/classical, alcohol and pot would go with stoner rock, sweat and fear would go with punk/heavy metal, etc ;)

Smelly circuit board.

Hi, have you owned this since new? In the repair business for many years we would get units that had cockroaches in them. The insects may be gone but the "presents" they leave behind smell awfull. It's an acrid sweet smell and gets worse with heat and humidity. The best luck I had was washing the board with isopropyl alcohol. Good luck with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.