What does it mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
divingcell.gif

The first thing to remember if you drop a cell phone, pager, two-way radio, etc. into water is to take the battery out right away! Water on it's own will take a while to do any damage, water and current can cause massive damage in a very short time. The distilled water rinse is a good idea, get out any chemicals from the pool, you have to be careful with the oven though.. a lot of them run the heating coils at full power and just change the amount of time they're on to adjust the temp. The plastic casing could easily get melted. A hair dryer works well, or putting it under a 60W lamp for a while. And of course never put your battery in the oven, especially a lithium!

Wavebourn: Good save!!

What kind of shops sell distilled water? Chemists or car parts places?
What's the second best option after distilled water? Tap water, switch cleaner, pure alcohol or Vodka (just guessing)?

(Someone brought me a cell phone recently. It had been switched on in their top pocket and then dropped into a bucket of diluted floor cleaner. Tried to save it but they brought it to me 30 mins later and still switched on:smash: )

regards,
Martin

Sonusthree said:
Wavebourn: Good save!!

What kind of shops sell distilled water?

I bought in Walgreens. They have also a clean vaseline to lubricate potentiometers.

What's the second best option after distilled water? Tap water, switch cleaner, pure alcohol or Vodka (just guessing)?

Sorry, I did not experiment yet. And hope I will no need anymore. :cool:

Experienced people suggested to wash it carefully in a distilled water then put into a food dessicator. I have no food dessicator, so crossed fingers and tried an oven...

Hey, I have a pretty nice food dehydrator. Next time you give your phone a bath send it my way and I'll throw it in with the next batch of jerky.:clown:

I once had a water cooled PC setup that sprung a leak and covered the motherboard in coolant while the PC was powered up. The PC shut off and I dove for the wall socket to pull the plug.

After rinsing the board in in distilled water and placing in a warm oven for the better half of a day, I put it back in the tower and it booted right up. That was about 5 years ago and the PC is still running to this day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.