Stupid Tape Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stupid Tape Question

I know someone has already asked this before but for the life of me I can't find it. Can computer grade/DDS cassettes be used to record tunes in a DAT machine? If so, is there any trade off in quality/longevity? The reason I ask is that a 10 pack of 90m DDS cartridges (equivalent to 180 Min.) costs $24.95, whilst a 10 pack of 60m DAT cassettes (120 Min.) goes for $73.95. I've heard everything, that they're exactly the same, that the identifier block confuses some machines, that they won't work at all, that they work better, etc... I would like to hear from some one who's actually tried it first. Also keep in mind that they'll be used in probably one of the most pathetic DAT machines of all time (Sony DTC-670).
Old 14th March 2007, 07:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have used DDS Dat tapes for years in my machines. the biggest problem is that the Data types are longer, the tape is thinner and when running them in a portable DAT deck, the transport must be rock solid stable your the tapes get eaten! and 99% of the DAT machines out there especially portables dont have a transport that is solid enough to run them without problems.

With a carefully setup transport (By Eddie Cilletti) i was able to get 2 hours per data type DAT tapes on a Tascam portable DAT machine.

I heard no audible quality differences. but there were some higher BLER.

Some tapes did confuse the deck right at the beginning of the tape. I found i could wind past that spot and be ok. I think i tried a bulk eraser on some tapes and was OK as well, but it has been so long i cant remember if that worked or not.

I had purchased about 100 new DDS tapes at an auction for use as PC backup tapes. and then tried a few in my PortaDAT and i had good luck so i now have 2 years worth of weekly recordings of the 4 hour show we used to DJ.

Zc

Zc

Hide this!Advertise here!