WinXP Weirdness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have had problem with my PC the last days. It crashed twice today. When restarting the PC this error report message came up. Some log was sent (pretty big it seems) and Explorer opened, wer.microsoft.com. WER=Win Error Reporting. The link doesn't work. Get 404 error.

I don't know if the auto censor allows me to post the link. One part of the link says: "571/****suckers/5.1."

Link

phn said:
................. I have no anti virus software.

You absolutely must have regularly updated anti-virus, firewall and spyware protection.
There are many free anti-virus programs and for spyware I also heartily recommend using spybot & Ad-aware (both free) they each detect things that the other sometimes misses.
All these trojans and key loggers need to be stopped.
Wouldn't hurt to update your browser regularly too.

Regards,
Martin the monkey.

Avast antivirus works and is FREE! I discovered it a couple years ago when I got mad because my 1 year NAV subscriptions kept expiring at about 6 months. I've been running Avast for more than 2 years now and had no virus/trojan problems whatsoever.

The next best thing I did was to switch to Ubuntu linux about 5 months ago. What a refreshing experience! The machine has not crashed once since I installed ubuntu. I dual boot with win2K because I have some apps for which I haven't yet found equivalents for linux. I look forward to one day being able to eliminate all M$ from my computer.

I_F

Hello all,

There are several components that can be used to insure that your computer performs admirably with WinXP.

Here is a list with each program's purpose, but in no particular order of importance:

1) Kerio Personal Firewall Version 2.1.5.

Although much older, this is a firewall that has less bloat than the XP resident one, but that isn't the only reason that I like it. I like it because it is trouble free, and unlike the XP firewall, it allows no process to phone home from inside your computer. The XP firewall protects you from the incoming, but not from the outgoing. Kerio does both, and you can configure it. Version 2.1.5 is an older one that is bare bones with nothing unnecessary added. It is free, but you will have to do a Google search to find it. Also, you will need to disable the resident firewall. Freeware, but not so easy to locate Version 2.1.5. It is well worth the search.

2) ProcessGuard 3

This program monitors processes on your computer, and allows none to start without your express permission. After you familiarize yourself with it, you will appreciate its power. No malware has an opportunity to startup on your computer, and nothing can phone home without your permission. A licensed program.

3) Nod32

Nod32 is the top-rated virus scanner available, bar none. It has caught more virii in the wild than any other brand. Repeatedly, Virus Bulletin rates it #1. It also has predictive features that can recognize an unidentified virus before it has been given a name. It uses extremely little resources, and scans e-mail along with other downloads. It can also catch an unfriendly webpage, as far as an online virus is concerned. It can, for example, detect a virus that is inside a photo on the Net. They do exist, but few scanners can detect them. It updates silently without your help, so you are always protected. A subscription program.

4) PocoMail

Unlike Outlook Express, this is a small mail client that does not rely on Microsoft's scripting to read mail. It uses its own scripts. That alone makes it far safer than its alternatives. It is also very flexible in that custom commands and filters can be applied to your particular installation. Mail is the most likely source for infection, so I consider PocoMail to be indispensable. A licensed program.

5) Firefox

The Firefox browser is far safer than Internet Explorer for several reasons. First, it is not integrated into the operating system, so it is not a portal for the evil that lurks in cyberspace. It does not use the most unsafe part of XP, ActiveX controls. It does use Java, but an extension is available that allows the user to completely control javascript. It is a no-brainer, in my opinion. Freeware.

5) O&O Defrag V8.6 Professional

This is a program that defragments your computer as you go without you having to worry with manual defragmentation. Also, it can be configured to defragment any locked file, including those which cannot be defragmented by XP's resident defragmentation program. You can configure the threshold of fragmentation that you consider to be acceptable, and O&O will never let it exceed that level. It uses an online server to store large files while it straightens out the rest. Very nice! You have to buy a license for this one.

6) CCleaner

This program keeps garbage from building up in your computer. It is very efficient, easy to use, and free.

7) RegSeeker Version 1.52

This is a more aggressive registry cleaner that will make your computer run smoother, but you have to remember to use it. It is freeware.

All these programs are very efficient, and take up very little space. They can be configured to do their jobs without user intervention. (with the exception of RegSeeker) In combination, they will make your computer very secure, and will help it run much smoother.

-mosin

Thanks guys.

The problems started when the PC refused to start a couple of days ago. Nothing. I first thought the motherboard had fried. In fact, I was pretty sure something major had happened. But before taking it to the dealer I checked all connections and cleaned it. I don't want to have the dealer tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Whatever was wrong was now fixed.

Later the PC started to crash. I used Win 2000 before going XP. The only differences I can see between the two are that it's easier to set up a network with XP (everything is PnP) and that XP is a lot more stable. It had never crashed before. I use the "Classic" Windows look, so there's really no difference in my case.

I do have Ad-Aware and Spybot. But I have no active anti virus program. And I have ZoneAlarm, which is one program I couldn't live without. Without it I wouldn't know what goes on in my PC.

I will check the links you have posted. An active anti virus program wouldn't hurt. I used to have Norton. Unlike others here I never had any problem with it. It does bog down the PC slightly. I would be more concerned if it didn't. The thing is, I don't visit any potentially harmful sites, type Astalavista. I don't use any P2P. I don't download stuff. I now use msconfig, a program I always used in the past but haven't bothered with the last couple of years.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its never a bad idea to have several virus scanners running. Unfortunately some don't coexist very well.
AVG and Antivir (both free) are permanently installed on my system without problems.
As malware removal, I use hitmanpro, a nifty batch program that runs a bunch of free anti-spyware tools.
A real pest to get rid of are rootkits. One of the best detection tools is RootkitRevealer.

www.free.grisoft.com
http://www.free-av.com/
www.hitmanpro.nl.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

/Hugo

Hi Guys

I had some close calls over the years and recently changed over from N/S to Panda. No complaints, everything a bit faster. Oh. well - if I HAVE to have a niggle - the pop-up pane informing all is OK IS a bit big...

@ The inimitable, one and only mosin. Regards from the southern tip of l'Afrique du Sud!

bulgin

PS Hell, I love them bakelite plugs and sockets :D

My desktop is dead again. It lights up and you hear the usual start up noises/relay-type clicks. But nothing happens. The "hard drive lamp" lights up (it doesn't blink) and then goes out after maybe 15 seconds. No connection with the monitor. I tried another hdd I have laying around. It's defect, but does sort of work. So it's not hdd related. I suspect it's the PSU, but can't say. I got rather weird measurements from the 5/12V hdd connector (I'm sure it has a name): 12 some volts and 7-something. That may not mean anything. And I did the measuring quite hastily.

The PC's up and running again!

I couldn't say, but suspect it's the PSU. I hope it is, anyway. It makes this annoying high-pitch whining whenever you do something. Have wanted to replace it with one of those silent PSUs for a long time. But I hate fixing with the PC. Now I have the excuse to do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.