Stereo multiplexer, general questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just two general questions on this.

If I have an old AM/FM tube tuner from a console radio, that isn't known to be a stereo unit originally, and I purchase a tube multiplexer, can I "just plug and play" stereo?

And does the brand matter, say a motorola multiplexer and a Magnavox tuner?

Thanks,

Jim

You need an IF output from the tuner to the demultiplexer. The old Scott tuners, some cheesy Eicos, Heathkits, and any others that came out around the time that stereo broadcast was introduced usually have outputs to drive demultiplexers.

Yes, the brand probably matters because there is no "standard" for the IF output level. You could probably modify just about any demultiplexer to work with any tuner with an IF output, assuming the IF frequencies are the same.

This all begs the question of why you would want to go to all this trouble, unless you're just into listening to old equipment. Modern equipment performs so much better and will work so much more reliably...

I_F

Thanks for the input,

Mainly curious because I have some old tube gear pulled from some consoles I purchased back before e-Bay sent tube gear thru the roof. I picked them up for the drivers mainly and just set the electronics aside.

The Magnavox tuner I'm refering to has an 'FM out' which I figured went to a multiplexer and was curious about brand interchangeability because of a Motorola unit I saw on e-Bay yesterday.

R/

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.