Another Paypal warning... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2003, 09:20 PM   #1
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Another Paypal warning...

Just to let folks know where they stand with this company:

I sold an item 3 months ago on eBay , and accepted payment by credit card via paypal. This was done in good faith.

They are now persuing me for the money, because it now turns out that the credit card was used fraudulently.
They accepted the card, and took their comission for the "service".

They were "kind" enough to include all their "small print" in the persual e-mail. Seems as if they have you by the "short and curlies".

There should be a new moto:

Let the seller beware.
Old 10th January 2003, 10:21 PM   #2
deuey is offline deuey  Canada
diyAudio Member

Man that sucks.
Why don't we all get together and force this giant to smarten up.
Seems abuse is rampant.
I have heard that people have been threatened with lawsuits for posting things like this.
People have the power. If they took a fee then we should have purchased insurance in that fee.
Old 10th January 2003, 10:26 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have heard that people have been threatened with lawsuits for posting things like this.
I have only posted the facts. I have no fear of litigation.*
People can make up their own minds.

Quote:
If they took a fee then we should have purchased insurance in that fee.
Yes, but check the small print. And there's lots.

*However, I have respect for the Forum, and if requested, I will withdraw these posts.
Old 10th January 2003, 10:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default PayPal blues and EBay blues

the "insurance" provision for fraud is problematic -- when you make a payment -- you only have 30 days -- so if an item is not shipped and the seller tells you that it was, you can easily get stuck.

I still take payments via PayPal, however.

Here's another thing to watch out for on EBay --- guys with a lot of positives for tiny purchases -- there's one guy who has bought stuff for under a buck in order to get his positives up -- then turns tail -- this was in the Wall Street Journal about 4 or 5 months ago.

lastly, be careful selling tubes into Asia -- a lot of "no-shows" over there. On the other hand, some of these guys send greenbacks (vernacular in the states for "folding" currency) for tubes. via ordinary airmail.
Old 11th January 2003, 12:54 AM   #5
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PayPal blues and EBay blues

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
Here's another thing to watch out for on EBay --- guys with a lot of positives for tiny purchases -- there's one guy who has bought stuff for under a buck in order to get his positives up -- then turns tail -- this was in the Wall Street Journal about 4 or 5 months ago.
Ouch! One of my first ebay purchases, back about Dec, 1999, ended like that. I sent a certified cashier's check (as good as cash), and got an email from another person who won an auction from the same seller. Only he did his homework better than I. To make a long story short, the seller ripped off enough people via mail fraud that official charges were filed. I ended up getting my check back, since the seller didn't bother to pick it up from his PO Box. Have no clue whatever became of the seller. Don't much care, either.

I have since made numerous purchases via ebay with no problems. One of my closest friends has done tens of thousands of dollars worth of transactions via paypal with no significant issues. He even has a paypal credit card!

Good luck, Dhaen,

Mark Broker
Old 11th January 2003, 02:18 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: PayPal blues and EBay blues

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
lastly, be careful selling tubes into Asia -- a lot of "no-shows" over there. On the other hand, some of these guys send greenbacks (vernacular in the states for "folding" currency) for tubes. via ordinary airmail.
I sell a lot of stuff (usually alnico speakers) to the Far East. Their flake rate is no higher than the rest of the world. I also get cash from all over, the Asians usually send cash by registered mail. Americans, Canadians, and Europeans just send it by letter post -- some even with coins in them!

dave
Old 11th January 2003, 02:35 AM   #7
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
I bid on an item for $25 I get out big by 1 cent!!!! 1 CENT!!!! and this guy had a rating of like 500!!! I have ZERO!!! (my fault, I forgot to rate the people I bought stuff off before, and they returned the favour.. ) BUT 1 CENT!!!! ITS THE SAME ANYWAY!!!
Old 11th January 2003, 02:50 AM   #8
deuey is offline deuey  Canada
diyAudio Member

I still think if everyone spoke as one voice they would listen.
This is far from being an isolated incident.
Why not track down other victims. Maybe form a mailing list for people who have been ripped off. Or is there one already ?

Deuey
Old 11th January 2003, 02:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
I bid on an item for $25 I get out big by 1 cent!!!! 1 CENT!!!! and this guy had a rating of like 500!!! I have ZERO!!! (my fault, I forgot to rate the people I bought stuff off before, and they returned the favour.. ) BUT 1 CENT!!!! ITS THE SAME ANYWAY!!!
No, it's not the same, otherwise you would have the item.

...looking for the off topic button.

I was a little concerned about my first purchase via paypal on ebay. The guy took like a month to send the item. (Over $200 US). I started a claim with my credit card company, because they will battle for me, in the even that paypal won't. I use paypal, because I get my CC company's laywers for free.

In the end the item showed up, and I canceled the discrepency with the CC card company.

I'm still a little nervous about accepting $$ via paypal. Not to keen on giving out my bank account number. They can have the CC number because there's fraud protection on the card, but none with the bank...

-Dan
Old 11th January 2003, 01:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default PayPal and EBay deadbeats

every once and a while you see the poison pen at work on the rec.radio.tubes or rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors newsgroups -- the problem is that you can't necessarily trust the bonafides of the complaintant.

It would be a good service, akin to Equifax or TRW for the web -- and you should be able to access the service easily -- and you should also be able to plow through multiple "aliases".

I am sure that there are all sorts of privacy issues -- probably can't be done in the US or Europe.

Hide this!Advertise here!