Another Paypal warning... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2003, 01:58 PM   #11
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
Here's my paypal story:

Sold a laptop on ebay several months ago. I was paid and sent the laptop with insurance via UPS ground with a tracking number and the works.

Roughly two months later during Thanksgiving at my mom's place, I checked email and saw that paypal was persuing the money back for the buyer because either the laptop was never received or it was damaged. They required that I send them the tracking number within 3 days of the email being sent to me (which was on Tuesday and this was Thursday) or the buyer would automatically get their money back. I sent an email to paypal stating that I was away from my home and couldn't get the tracking number to them until Sunday or Monday. I also sent an email to the buyer (whom I was very suspicious of) asking what was wrong and why they never emailed me about the problem.

By the time I got home, I had an email from paypal saying they returned the money (no biggie since I withdrew the money before... just have a neg balance now) and that I needed to give them $820! I tracked the package and saw that it was received, threatened the buyer with a lawsuit if they didn't talk (this was after 5 emails with no response), and they admitted they "stole" the money. I in the meantime filed a claim with the BBB about the situation and paypal is saying they can do nothing since I didn't give them the tracking number within 3 days. And the ironic part, the paypal rep took over a month to reply to me. Oh well, no problem since I have all my money.
Old 11th January 2003, 02:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default it's business days, not days

for "notification" -- in most commercial agreements. Furthermore, providing someone notice via e-mail is not satisfactory -- for a whole variety of reasons.

I used to do swaps for a living (that's what happens when you are an undergrad science major -- you do derivative contracts) -- mostly buying debt and financing it. We incorporated into our swap documentation provisions that "notification" had to be confirmed -- elsewise you can have someone down at the county courthouse and you won't even be aware of it. All of the US,. Canadian and European investment banks had no problems with this. (since it was the reciprocal of their own terms.)

I think that this is an issue which should be brought before the California and New York attorneys general, as the consumer protections just aren't there.

Hide this!Advertise here!