Sequential power-up of amp / preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
have just completed construction on a vacuum tube preamp (Aikido) and have it driving an AKSA 55N. In the preamp, I use a time-delay of 30 seconds to warm the heaters prior to switching on the HT supply. I then manually switch on the AKSA power amp.

On turn-off, I switch-off the AKSA power amp, then wait a few seconds before switching of the preamp. I really do not want to risk anything nasty if I get the order of switch-off incorrect.

So, I was thinking of building a power distributor. It would consist of two IEC outlets, one to the preamp, the other to the power amp. On switch-on, the device would power-up the preamp. Then after 1 minute, it would power-up the AKSA power amp. On switch-off, the device would power down the AKSA, then after, say 30 seconds switch off the preamp.

My voltage is 115VAC (actually more like 123VAC from my house outlets).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi,
ne555 timers could achieve this staggered power up.
Instant off for the power amp on power down.

If you want a bit of belt and braces you could add a relay to the power amp that uses a pair of volt free contacts to initiate the shut down timer in the pre-amp supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.