CD/DVD disk demagnetizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
protos said:
Snake oil perhaps but read this serious sounding review
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech2/pro.html
I reserve judgment until I hear it for myself.

However if you really want to start people pulling their hair out look at this product review
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/francktchang/resonators.html

it seems a lot of asian audiophiles swear by it.

6Moons reviews have to be taken with a large pinch of salt !!!!!!!

There is a recent thread about the resonators. Apparently, they even work when not in the same room as the audio equipment so they must really annoy your neighbours !!!!!! It's all in the review.

They were demonstrated at a show. NONE of the other exhibitors commented or complained about their audio image being improved or shifted while they were being moved.

Andy

I'm pretty new to digital. I was literally stunned by the extreme poor quality of CDs. My initial reaction was that this has to be some kind of joke. But then I looked around and nobody was saying anything. I don't know if it's me or everybody is being compliant. I have had more problem with CDs in three years than I have had with vinyl in three decades. (It should be noted that I avoid new 180g "audiophile" vinyl pressings. They are as useless as CDs.) Then I read this on the page in the link:

The demagnetization process of CD-ROM or MD etc. used to be performed during their production processes. Manufacturers had realized that demagnetization enhanced the capability of Software. However, with increasing price competition, most manufacturers stopped the demagnetization leaving us again with the magnetized products and the problems that go with them.

This makes perfect sense to me. CDs are, after all, made by the lowest bidder. It explains why there's no quality control.

Now, I'm not saying I believe in this stuff. I know the vinyl version is snake oil. But the thing is, I don't have any problem with vinyl. It's CDs I'm having problem with. I'm desperate here. Desperate people do desperate things. I want to be able to enjoy music not available on vinyl. I want to not hate CDs. I want CDs not to be a bad joke.

protos said:

However if you really want to start people pulling their hair out look at this product review
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/francktchang/resonators.html

it seems a lot of asian audiophiles swear by it.

A lot of audiophiles are such idiots that they spend huge amounts of money on equipment and little magic doo-dads instead of properly treating their room's acoustics. What sort of fool arranges their stereo with a big window behind and between the speakers? The same kind who thinks little magic doo-dads can fix the problem!

phn said:
I'm pretty new to digital. I was literally stunned by the extreme poor quality of CDs. My initial reaction was that this has to be some kind of joke. But then I looked around and nobody was saying anything. I don't know if it's me or everybody is being compliant. I have had more problem with CDs in three years than I have had with vinyl in three decades. ...

Now, I'm not saying I believe in this stuff. I know the vinyl version is snake oil. But the thing is, I don't have any problem with vinyl. It's CDs I'm having problem with. I'm desperate here. Desperate people do desperate things. I want to be able to enjoy music not available on vinyl. I want to not hate CDs. I want CDs not to be a bad joke.

I have the solution to your problems. Send me $500 and I will sacrifice a goat to legba and say the words that are necessary to get the Gods on your side once again. If you do not send the money right away I forsee something very bad happening to your system. Only I can help you. Please, for your own good and the safety of your stereo system, send the money NOW!

I_F

More on the "Nespa" thingy:

"What, pray tell, is this manufacturing defect? That's where incontrovertible proof gets fuzzy. One theory goes that during especially high-speed duplication -- the norm for most commercial pressings -- the release agents that are applied to the CD mold stampers end up between substrate and protective surface as inclusions. These microscopic bubbles prevent complete adhesion of layers to purportedly interfere with the laser reader. The Nespa treatment is claimed to somehow "flash evaporate" or "burn off" these inclusion bubbles through the CD's permeable polycarbonate. The end result is audibly better sound through more accurate data retrieval."

If this thing removes bubbles, they should be visible before and gone after the treatment. All that is required to show what this device does is a simple microphotograph. How does one "evaporate" a bubble in solid plastic, anyway? It seems to me you'd have to liquefy the plastic and allow the bubble to rise to the surface and burst. Hmmm. I don't think I want anyone melting my CDs.

As with everything else that purports to "improve" CDs, it completely ignores the error correction built into the coding in the data on the disc. The coding allows PERFECT reconstruction of bad bits. It isn't masking, it is reconstruction of the original data. It can't get better. It is perfect.

As long as there are narrow-minded people with money in their wallets there will be scoundrels to relieve them of the burden of having to carry it.

No sense in dancing around it- a person would have to be stupid to spend thier money on something like this.

I_F

Aluminum can be magnetized momentarily. Alternating magnetic fields can be measured under power lines run with aluminum wire – just ask the kids with the feet growing out of their foreheads. ; ) Kidding! I don’t buy the power line/cancer thing anyways. After all, I’m sitting in front of a 17” monitor that’s belting out lots-o'-fields.

Why would CDs become magnetized during the manufacturing process in the first place? When they’re stamped? When they are coated or printed? Move a CD near a compass – if it has even a slight field, the needle will deflect. Didn’t think so.

And, what about the DC motor rotating the CD, or the linear-optics positioner, or even the lens focusing coil? All those parts generate a magnetic field and/or are influenced by magnetics, yet players seem to continue to work fine.

Demagnetizing CDs is just another high-profit-margin piece of snake-oil for low-IQ-margin audiophiles.

Weeeeeeelllllll.... sorta, but not really. Aluminum is paramagnetic, so it retains no field when the applied field is removed, but it does have a slight field when in the presence of an external magnetic field. The response is pretty small, about 10ppm of susceptibility, so this is really a quibble.

Your bottom line is right, CDs have no residual magnetism to remove, but you knew that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
DCPreamp said:
And, what about the DC motor rotating the CD, or the linear-optics positioner, or even the lens focusing coil? All those parts generate a magnetic field

That's exactly how the CDs get magnetized. It isn't at the pressing plant, it's over time in the CDP. The demagnetizer removes or neutralizes that accumulated magnetic charge.

This gradual magnetizing of CDs is one of the main reasons why CDs "wear out" and start to sound bad over time. They don't wear out physically, but they get magnetized which wreaks havoc with the CD player and pick up. Jitter and error rate go up as the CD gets more and more magnetized. Demagnetizing (degaussing) from time to time will bring the CD back to a neutral and cleaner sounding state.

panomaniac said:

That's exactly how the CDs get magnetized. It isn't at the pressing plant, it's over time in the CDP. The demagnetizer removes or neutralizes that accumulated magnetic charge.

This gradual magnetizing of CDs is one of the main reasons why CDs "wear out" and start to sound bad over time. They don't wear out physically, but they get magnetized which wreaks havoc with the CD player and pick up. Jitter and error rate go up as the CD gets more and more magnetized. Demagnetizing (degaussing) from time to time will bring the CD back to a neutral and cleaner sounding state.

You are extraordinarily misinformed.

I_F

panomaniac said:

The residual magnetic field of a CD that has been played several hundred times is an easily measurable quantity. Yet it remains beneath the dignity of the people selling these things to provide even one data point.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I_Forgot said:
You are extraordinarily misinformed.

Not really. :D :D Just being silly, that's all.

My post was pure and utter nonsense. I just made it up as I wrote it.
But see how easy it is to come up with a hare-brained theory that actually sounds good - if you don't know the facts?

That's how a lot of this BS get sold. In fact my story is too easy to disprove, so it's not that good after all. Replace magnetism with "quantum effects" or "Huna energy" or some such and it will be hard to disprove.

Sorry to lead anyone down the magnetized garden path. ;)

BTW, I_F - you are extraordinarily polite. You should have ripped me a new one.

Aluminum is paramagnetic, so it retains no field when the applied field is removed, but it does have a slight field when in the presence of an external magnetic field. The response is pretty small, about 10ppm of susceptibility, so this is really a quibble.

100% pure aluminum is paramagnetic, but like copper, there is enough iron as an impurity in commercially available samples to swamp their paramagnetic properties.

Having said that, demagnetizing cds to improve the sound is a absurd notion.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.