How to wire in a fan in a Denon 2800 DVD player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2007, 04:11 AM   #1
ccdoggy is offline ccdoggy  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ccdoggy
Default How to wire in a fan in a Denon 2800 DVD player

Hello, I got a used Denon 2800 dvd player from a client. It keeps freezing up during playback. Long story short it turns out that the video processing chip is overheating. I have tried heatsinks but due to the fact that the case has no air flow at all it was useless and only delayed the problem from showing up.

So i need a fan in there. I figure 120V ac as it seems like it would be the easiest to hook up and find connection points. I want the fan to go on with the power up of the unit. The unit has a standby mode activated by the remote and would be nice to also turn on and off with that. Although i have no clue where to wire in to get this working. I tried usin my multimeter to get readings but alas i over juiced it a few months ago and now some aluminum is welded to both tips and i can never get a good connection.

Here are some pics of what i see when i open it up. In one pic i jotted down what i was thinking might work, but i really have no clue in these things. (in the pics the thing with all the copper on it is the processor thats over heating).

www.ccdoggy.com/wiring

If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it as i get to keep this dvd player if i fix it.

Yes i know im no good at drawing in photoshop, but you get the idea.
Old 1st March 2007, 05:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

OR if i could find a 12V line somewhere i could tap into i would be golden. However i have no clue how to find one without making it blow up... Tips/Ideas?
Old 1st March 2007, 06:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

alright, what i have found. (I took a wire cutter to my multimeter probes and cut off the bad part and now am getting good readings). When i connect the multimeter as shown in my pic as if it were the fan it reads ~3.4Volts when the switch is off, and 120V when switch is on, but it stays live when the standby is activated via the remote, which is something i dont want.
Old 1st March 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ignore my previous post.

I found a place with 12 Volt, on a capacitor. I have it circled in the pic called 12V cap. How would i wire into this power and could a small fan be too much power draw for it to handle?

Hide this!Advertise here!