A little doubt on Eagle, how to print the PCB to transfer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2007, 09:35 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

Good Luck!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st March 2007, 11:55 AM   #12
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

This is how it looks and works for me. I've used Eagle under Linux, Windows and MacOS - one of the major strengths of the package.

There's no Mac-like alternative, just other ugly approaches.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullscreen.jpg (86.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 1st March 2007, 06:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

X11 Server software for Apple Mac = http://opendarwin.org/ ... "OpenDarwin Shutting Down ... and our apologies to active, loyal projects that have to move. ..."

I suppose we could take a chance using it = required to make Eagle "for Mac" to run, apparently.

... http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ = " ... Download or browse the Darwin source code releases from the links below. ..."

Anyway, following this Adventure Game / snipe hunt around the Internet to gather all the software goodies onto one machine in order to make a relatively unsupported program run used to be a lot of fun for me, and I am still on the Apple Developers' lists, but I'm getting too old to debug someone elses work. ... so much software, so little time ... and patience ...

Anyone know of a single web site that has all the software needed for very recent Apple OS usage?? I'm not asking for support, just a "known good" web site that has enough tweaks and tools and libraries to make Eagle actually run painlessly on a standard modern Mac ?? (I don't mind actually buying a program, either, but I would like to know that when I pay up I will get the full software load ...)

Old 1st March 2007, 08:19 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

If you're running 10.4, X11 is included in the standard installation, otherwise you can download it directly from Apple, (that's what I did).
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st March 2007, 09:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hey FastEddy,

The usually not pre-installed X11 package is actually on the second of the two restore DVDs that come with every Mac.

It is supplied with new Macs or OS X retail packages since 10.4.0
If yours is older, just do as Pinkmouse kindly suggested and then get it up to date via the usual Software Update.

Quote:
make Eagle actually run painlessly on a standard modern Mac
Did you see the attached desktop screenshot in my previous post?
This is Eagle, definitely running painlessly on a standard modern Mac!

Hope this helps,
Sebastian.
Old 1st March 2007, 09:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

" ... running 10.4, X11 ... you can download it directly from Apple ... " If you have upgraded from 10.2 or higher, even though Apple says you have 10.4, you will have to get the download ... by registering as an Apple Developer.

Off topic / FYI: Nothing new at Apple Developer Net about anything related to audio ... But I have discovered that the German company that Apple bought (Audiowerk / Logic / X97 PCI cards & software) is apparently very touchy about any news re: details of any Apple hardware project. X97 was a 16-bit "pure audio" device very much like the iTV gadget, announced and soon to be released ... X97 or whatever its called is on hold as well, apparently 'cause there is not enough 24-bit music files on iTunes, yet ... ... and as everyone now knows: "All [16-bit] CDs suck ..." - Bob Dylan.
Old 1st March 2007, 09:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

From the Apple docs:
" Installation Instructions
=========================

Note:
When preparing your system to install Darwin, it is a good idea
to disconnect all hard drives other than the target disk. This
is to prevent the accidental destruction of data on the wrong disk.

Important:
It is recommended that you install Darwin onto a partition that
is at least 3.0GB in size. ... "

... then the CD (image) has a whole bunch of empty subdirectory folders labeled with things like "user", "usr", "bin" ... ... what a joke, on me. I realize this a layout done by an obvious UnixGeek, short pants, hat-on-backwards, "never did tech support, too much time on his hands", techno weenie. So, here goes the Adventure Game / Snipe Hunt again. I suppose it is too much to ask of the Eagle folks or some sane but enterprising fellow to put this interesting program into a Mac compatible format on CD ... and simply charge me $50.

I see that CadSoft.com actually does and actually does = US$49 for the Mac version = good guess on my part ... I guess I'll just order it ...

Old 1st March 2007, 09:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, you may be over-complicating things.

Here is X11 for 10.3:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

Download it and click on the installer, it's simple.

If you have 10.4, just read this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301229
Old 1st March 2007, 10:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I don't quite get it...

You may of course want to install Darwin in case you're curious about it. But what does Darwin have to do with Eagle?

X11 is a separate package on the DVD in the box. Should you have pulled a copy of 10.4 from someone, just ask for the DVD again... ?! But as you are an ADC member, why not just dowload it anyway? It's a Mac OS X binary distribution of X11 and does not need an underlying Darwin.

Cadsoft's current release 4.16r2 of Eagle for Mac is a standalone application that unzips into a self-containing folder and comes with an install- and an uninstall-script.

This release of Eagle has it's GUI functionality linked into the program, it does indeed work and look exactly the same on Windows, Mac OS and Linux. No need to set up any external GUI framework first.

Don't forget the manual and the tutorial, though!

Am I missing something?

PS: Pinkmouse, thanks for pointing it out, too. Have been reviewing while you postet.

Hide this!Advertise here!