A little doubt on Eagle, how to print the PCB to transfer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !

I appologize for posting this simple thing, but I've searched and I couldn't find it.

I'm completely new at eagle :rolleyes:

I'm making a board, but I can't find how to print the back of the PCB, mirrorwed to transfer to the real board.

I need only the tracks and the holes of the components appearing in the impression, to transfer.

I know it sounds fool to expert users, but I'll be glad to have this answer :)

Thank you !

Best Regards

Hi nando

If you do a file/print option, a small box appears with options such as mirror , rotate etc. (I have version 4.16)
Please note I havn't tried this as I usually import the image (i use the File/Export/Image option) and then use Paint Shop Pro to tweak & mirror the image before printing.

FYI, there are some useful support news groups for eagle:
for general chat/info see news://eagle.userchat.eng
and for support issues news://eagle.support.eng
plus others

HTHmirror

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Make visible the layers you need, for you, probably bottom copper, pads and via. Go to File/Export, set DPI resolution to match your printer, click the B&W box, and save as a bitmap. Then you can just open the file in any old graphics software and flip L-R. There are other ways, but that is often the simplest. ;)

Hey,

You would of course use the CAM module (the film tool next to the save-to-disk button) from the board layout window!

Load a default camera job named 'layout', select the details and properties of your layout view, choose an output device format (PS, EPS, Gerber, Excellon and Plotter are the most relevant choices) and let the job get processed.

Additional choices are mirror, flip, turn, invert, fill or unfill pads/holes, etc...

A PS or Gerber (or whatever you choose) file is generated for every film layer you specify, You can then use this to view, print, CNC or whatever. ;)

Please note that only this is a resolution-independent, device-independent way of outputting a layout (or schematic, etc.) and is definitely appropriate for viewing and printing either on paper, film or transfer material.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian. ;)

Exporting as an image is the quickest way of getting a file for review or print, I agree. But creating and using them can be tricky if you're unsure how it works - and thus involve more time if you do the trial-and-error approach by subsequently printing each dpi and size adjustment value.

I rather use the CAM processot and do it exactly the same way as mentioned, but use The Gimp or Graphic Converter, should I run into a lack of Photoshop. :D

The PS or EPS files can be post-processed with any modern image editor (e.g. all of the above). On Linux and MacOS, no additional software has to be installed to use postscript ([E]PS files), on Windows just download the free Ghostscript and GSView or use the professional Acrobat.

BTW, it's not really that simple to export as a PNG or JPG, because hitting the exact printer's dpi can become difficult, and really fixing for the high dpi numbers of todays laser or ink jet printers can easily lead to ridiculously large file sizes that are more difficult to handle than the CAM processor anyway. The actual result would also depend on the picture viewer's and the printer driver's processing.

IMHO, the CAM processor is a lot more flexible and gives consistent results, you just have to get used to the window handling and the file (extension) naming scheme. The tutorial explains it all. Nothing is more frustrating than having a board etched and drilled just to find out that it scaled a couple percent off or that the prints on the two board sides are misaligned due to different processing...

Have fun,
Sebastian.

PS: Pinkmouse, I just describe it the 'official' way as I see myself confronted with a lot of Eagle related posts on diyaudio.com lately. Most of them result from new users intuitively using Eagle like a drawing program, which it just isn't. No offense... ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
No offense taken! :)

I'm not so familiar with the Wintel side of things as I use Mac mostly, and have always had a version of Photoshop installed so it was the default route for me really.

I have never had serious scaling issues when I do print directly though, perhaps I've just been lucky?

This is how it looks and works for me. I've used Eagle under Linux, Windows and MacOS - one of the major strengths of the package. :cool:

There's no Mac-like alternative, just other ugly approaches. :cannotbe:

Cheers.

Attachments

• fullscreen.jpg
    fullscreen.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 100
X11 Server software for Apple Mac = http://opendarwin.org/ ... "OpenDarwin Shutting Down ... and our apologies to active, loyal projects that have to move. ..." :rolleyes:

I suppose we could take a chance using it = required to make Eagle "for Mac" to run, apparently.

... http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ = " ... Download or browse the Darwin source code releases from the links below. ..."

Anyway, following this Adventure Game / snipe hunt around the Internet to gather all the software goodies onto one machine in order to make a relatively unsupported program run used to be a lot of fun for me, and I am still on the Apple Developers' lists, but I'm getting too old to debug someone elses work. ... so much software, so little time ... and patience ... :bawling:

Anyone know of a single web site that has all the software needed for very recent Apple OS usage?? I'm not asking for support, just a "known good" web site that has enough tweaks and tools and libraries to make Eagle actually run painlessly on a standard modern Mac ?? (I don't mind actually buying a program, either, but I would like to know that when I pay up I will get the full software load ...)

:confused:

Hey FastEddy,

The usually not pre-installed X11 package is actually on the second of the two restore DVDs that come with every Mac. :)

It is supplied with new Macs or OS X retail packages since 10.4.0 ;)
If yours is older, just do as Pinkmouse kindly suggested and then get it up to date via the usual Software Update.

make Eagle actually run painlessly on a standard modern Mac

Did you see the attached desktop screenshot in my previous post?
This is Eagle, definitely running painlessly on a standard modern Mac! :cool:

Hope this helps,
Sebastian.

" ... running 10.4, X11 ... you can download it directly from Apple ... " If you have upgraded from 10.2 or higher, even though Apple says you have 10.4, you will have to get the download ... by registering as an Apple Developer.

Off topic / FYI: Nothing new at Apple Developer Net about anything related to audio ... But I have discovered that the German company that Apple bought (Audiowerk / Logic / X97 PCI cards & software) is apparently very touchy about any news re: details of any Apple hardware project. X97 was a 16-bit "pure audio" device very much like the iTV gadget, announced and soon to be released ... X97 or whatever its called is on hold as well, apparently 'cause there is not enough 24-bit music files on iTunes, yet ... :bigeyes: ... and as everyone now knows: "All [16-bit] CDs suck ..." - Bob Dylan.

From the Apple docs:
" Installation Instructions
=========================

Note:
When preparing your system to install Darwin, it is a good idea
to disconnect all hard drives other than the target disk. This
is to prevent the accidental destruction of data on the wrong disk.

Important:
It is recommended that you install Darwin onto a partition that
is at least 3.0GB in size. ... "

... then the CD (image) has a whole bunch of empty subdirectory folders labeled with things like "user", "usr", "bin" ... :mad: ... what a joke, on me. I realize this a layout done by an obvious UnixGeek, short pants, hat-on-backwards, "never did tech support, too much time on his hands", techno weenie. So, here goes the Adventure Game / Snipe Hunt again. I suppose it is too much to ask of the Eagle folks or some sane but enterprising fellow to put this interesting program into a Mac compatible format on CD ... and simply charge me $50.

I see that CadSoft.com actually does and actually does = US$49 for the Mac version = good guess on my part ... I guess I'll just order it ...

:smash:

I don't quite get it... :D

You may of course want to install Darwin in case you're curious about it. But what does Darwin have to do with Eagle?

X11 is a separate package on the DVD in the box. Should you have pulled a copy of 10.4 from someone, just ask for the DVD again... ?! But as you are an ADC member, why not just dowload it anyway? It's a Mac OS X binary distribution of X11 and does not need an underlying Darwin.

Cadsoft's current release 4.16r2 of Eagle for Mac is a standalone application that unzips into a self-containing folder and comes with an install- and an uninstall-script.

This release of Eagle has it's GUI functionality linked into the program, it does indeed work and look exactly the same on Windows, Mac OS and Linux. No need to set up any external GUI framework first.

Don't forget the manual and the tutorial, though! :D

Am I missing something? :confused:

PS: Pinkmouse, thanks for pointing it out, too. Have been reviewing while you postet. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.