Nixie and Magura do Heatsink Material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maxro said:
'Tis called the "isolated package".
Are you smoking something, maxro? The isolated package has a built in plastic isolation. Beryllia, on the other hand, is almost twice as heat conductive as the aluminum of the heatsink itself, comparable to copper instead (while being an electrical insulator). So what's better, the copper-like heat conductivity of beryllia, or plastic? Indeed, the beryllia is even better than a non-isolated heatsink attached directly to a metal-backed part, because it spreads the heat to a larger initial surface of the aluminum.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The best option seen from an environmental point of view would be the isolated package. When beryllium would be used there will be a time it will end up somewhere in the environment. With a possibility that it ends up in the vicinity of people not knowing the risks.

But people that build such hot amps that really need the beryllia for that last degree difference probably don't care.

toxic stuff

Are you folks for real??

Do you drive a car? There are sooo many everyday hazards out there that noone seems to give a *&^% about, and you're worrying about teflon fumes?

GET REAL!!

I've worked in nuclear reactors, with explosives... with cyanide vats > 1000 gallons... with permanganic/chromic/perchlori acid fumes, HF, you name it... I'm still here.. multi 100KV tesla coils...pipe bombs...

Secret here is... BE CAREFUL!!! Don't do sumpthin stupid...

Not to mention I bult a SPUD GUN that'll launch flaming potatoes 300 meters... ;-)

I worry about alot of stuff... but teflon ...gimme a break... go talk to Al...

John L.

Re: toxic stuff

auplater said:
I've worked in nuclear reactors, with explosives... with cyanide vats > 1000 gallons... with permanganic/chromic/perchlori acid fumes, HF, you name it... I'm still here.. multi 100KV tesla coils...pipe bombs...
But with all these things you take measures to protect yourself. I built a 100 kV X-ray machine in my basement, and I've made anything from abrin to PETN. But continued exposure to low levels of environmental toxicity is much more worse because it's not practical to wear protective gear in everyday life.

Re: Re: toxic stuff

Nixie said:

But continued exposure to low levels of environmental toxicity is much more worse because it's not practical to wear protective gear in everyday life.

And where's the proof...?? low levels of many of the currently popular politically motivated toxins occur naturally ... always have.. we're just now discovering them (volcanic debris comes to mind) and you can't protect from them.

So much of this "low level exposure" stuff is meta based at best.. I know, I live in the medical field dealing with childhood illnesses and prevention... the data supporting the supposed "toxic cumulative effects" of low level exposure is pathetic. Almost always the purview of contorted politicians jumping on the bandwagon trying to get elected by quoting supposed "expert scientists".

What bandwagon? What politicians?

You mean those smoking and asbestos alarmists? History sure proved them wrong.

Poor oil companies being bullied by the big powerful environmentalists. Poor tobacco companies. Poor chemical industry. Poor pharmaceutical industry.

Nixie said:

Are you smoking something, maxro?

mmmmm.... Teflon vapours.

The isolated package has a built in plastic isolation. Beryllia, on the other hand, is almost twice as heat conductive as the aluminum of the heatsink itself, comparable to copper instead (while being an electrical insulator). So what's better, the copper-like heat conductivity of beryllia, or plastic? Indeed, the beryllia is even better than a non-isolated heatsink attached directly to a metal-backed part, because it spreads the heat to a larger initial surface of the aluminum.

I agree, not "better" but "easier". And thermally conductive enough for the chips I hang out with.

Perhaps you could experiment with an all beryllium heatsink and report back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.