posting Excel graph results?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to post an attachment that raw is 400k and Zipped is 117k.

The MSexcel spreadsheet results are plotted on a log/log graph and I have used WinRAR and 7-zip to compress other files in the past.

I tried extra compression in 7-zip and it got down to 97k and allowed me to post the attachment. But, Winzip cannot open the file due to compression method 9 being used.

What do I need to do?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
If you just want to post the chart/graph, click on the chart/graph in your workbook, go to save as a webpage, and select the chart option. Excel will automatically export your charts to gif image files. You can then manipulate them or post them directly if they're the proper size (resolution and byte wise).

Richie boy said
Something is wrong Andrew. It should resemble what the screengrab was, and all versions of Paint I have used can save as PNG. Hmmm then again, are you on Win98 or something?
well I'm on Win98.

Bwrx,
I will try your suggestion, but my edit has expired= new post. :(
Just tried it.
No webpage option but there is a save as HTML option. Gone through the wizard and after about 4 pages (Finish) it came back with the wizard could not export the chart . The GIF filter etc.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Taking a screenshot (and editing if necessary) works too. The gif images Excel exports are good quality. I did forget to mention to create a new folder and save into that since Excel will create another folder in that directory to store the images.

Edit: which version of Excel do you have? I know the Save as web page option is in the Office 2003 suite. It might not be in previous versions.

Andrew

A) What format (file extension) is your 400kB file?

B) Another option would be to display the graph on your screen as you wish it to appear and then copy it to the clipboard using the 'prt scr' key on your keyboard. Open a graphics program (Irfanview is very good, and free:) ) then paste from the clipboard. Crop any unwanted parts of the screen dump (toolbars etc), resize if necessary before saving in a format of your choice (.gif, .png or whatever). This is what I do to obtain the 'overview' pictures of pcbs which you may have seen in one or two threads.

AndrewT said:
I want to post an attachment that raw is 400k and Zipped is 117k.

The MSexcel spreadsheet results are plotted on a log/log graph and I have used WinRAR and 7-zip to compress other files in the past.

I tried extra compression in 7-zip and it got down to 97k and allowed me to post the attachment. But, Winzip cannot open the file due to compression method 9 being used.

What do I need to do?

www.openoffice.org
freeware 94 Mbyte download
is said to open most any Windows Office / Word document
and you may be able to export / publish in other more internet suitable formats

Otherwise there is a Free XLS reader to download.
From which you can EXPORT, for example as .jbmp or other images.

Excel Viewer 2003
is a free .xls reader.
I have used it for exporting into other formats
Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=en

If all that matters is the graph and not the data behind it, then screen capture works nicely. I use the freeware IrfanView from irfanview.com. It has screen capture that works as follows.

Open IrfanView and choose Options, Capture/Screenshot. You'll see from the dialog that the capture operation will be assigned to Ctrl-F11. I choose the "Foreground Window Client Area" option, along with "Show captured image in viewer". Then click the Start button. Go to Excel and display the graph. Press Ctrl-F11 to capture. You'll see the captured window inside the IrfanView client window. This can be confusing as it will look just like the app window you've captured. To crop the image to just the graph area you want to show, drag the mouse over the desired graph area, forming a rectangle around it. Choose Edit, crop selection. Then save the image. I usually use PNG, which is an open-source standard format that's supported directly in this forum. PNG and GIF are best for cartoon-like images such as graphs. JPG will give inferior results with graphs, but is much more efficient for pictures.

Re: Re: posting Excel graph results?

lineup said:

www.openoffice.org
freeware 94 Mbyte download
is said to open most any Windows Office / Word document
and you may be able to export / publish in other more internet suitable formats

I did, myself, install latest www.openoffice.org freeware program
Latest version 2.1 for Windows.

1. A first tryout with using 'Create Presentation' wizard

2. I did export this presentation in PDF format.
It looks just great!

3. Then I did export this presentation first-present1
as a .png image
See my attachment :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: for the result

Notice that this attached .PNG ( portable net graphic )
is compressed downto only 10 kB = 10.199 bytes ...

lineup - is really impressed ..what can be done in an easy way ..... ........ and it took me only a couple of minutes

Attachments

• first-present1.png
    first-present1.png
    10 KB · Views: 145
Hi,
thanks for all the suggestions.
Openoffice & excel viewer cannot work with my old operating system (win98) and Office 97.

Will try Irfan next.

Geoff,
don't know what extn Excel uses for copy of the spreadsheet graph. After I have pasted it into wordpad or word it appears as .doc and then zips correctly as .zip and opens with Winzip or 7-zip or Winrar.

andy_c said:
If all that matters is the graph and not the data behind it, then screen capture works nicely. I use the freeware IrfanView from irfanview.com. It has screen capture that works as follows.

There's a much better way to use (the terrific) Irfanview. Right-click on the graph border in Excel. Select copy. This copies the graph to the clipboard in (I think) vector form. Switch to Irfanview and select paste, or use Ctrl-V. In Irfanview select 'save file as' and choose PNG. Make sure the 'Use PNGOUT Plugin' option is selected in the pop-up diaglogue, and that the plugin available from Irfanview is installed. The default plug-in settings work fine. Save file. The result is a perfect and tiny copy of your graph.

The quick example attached below is under 3kB in size. This works with many applications which display graphics, Oscillometer for example.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 148
AndrewT said:

Openoffice & excel viewer cannot work with
- my old operating system (win98)
- and Office 97.

Sure! AndrewT.
I guess you can prove your point.
Otherwise do not say this. Because then is MISINFORMATION.
To all other reading this topic!

quote from www.openoffice.com download page:

System Requirements for OpenOffice.org 2
Microsoft Windows

* Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista (enhanced Vista integration from version 2.2)
* 128 Mbytes RAM
* 200 Mbytes available disk space
* 800 x 600 or higher resolution with at least 256 colours

Among the first things, that install will ask you is:
Do you want to make OpenOffice
the default opener of:

- Windows Words .doc
- Excel .xls files
- Power Point files

Absolutely No Regards, this time ;)
lineup :) only trying to help this Scottish guy with some problems

Hi Lineup,
I guess you can prove your point
I proved it by attempting an install with the download that you and others directed me to.

In each case the install software came back to say cannot install due to "needs office 2000 or later" or "your windows version needs to be newer?" or similar wording.

Surely you'll accept my word on that.

I could have omitted the "fail to install info" but some other may search and find no comment, that would be less than helpful.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Fellows, fellows, this Open Office thing is not worth arguing about. Everyone knows that Windows has it's glitches in regards to downloading and installing programs.

I just switched from a 250 MHz IBM machine with Win98SE-which served all my needs well-to a 1.6 GHz Dell with Windows XP SP2.

On my old machine, with Win 98SE, I had no trouble downloading and installing the excellent freeware image viewer XnView. I did it several times without a hitch. I had also downloaded and installed the equally good IrfanView, which does most everything XnView does, but I rarely used it since I just happened to get to know XnView better.

On my new machine, I disabled the XP and Google popup blicker and downloaded XnView from download.com. It would not download all the way, instead it stopped partway through. A couple of more attempts yielded the same disappointing results.

So I downloaded and installed IrfanView with no problems whatsever. Smooth as silk. So that will be my image viewer.

It is no great harm to have to switch to IrfanView from XnView, they are both great and do pretty much the same things. But I had gotten to know XnView so much better.

I have no doubt that Andrew ran into the problems he did with Open Office. Another Windows 98 SE machine might not have. Windows machines tend to be quirky on these things, there is no sense putting blame on the user if he has problems installing something, chances are it is not his fault. :)

Pete, maybe you could disable the XP firewall and instead use Zonealarm which is free and loads better. Also use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Then you may not run into download problems. avast! is also a great free antivirus.

I can send you the latest version of XnView by email or host it on my website for you, if you want it.

Andrew, what spec is your PC? You will be better running XP if your machine can take it.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Richie:

Thanks for the offer. I will try the things you mentioned and if they don't work, then I'll let you know and you can Email me the program. I don't know about switching to ZoneAlarm though, I might just disable the XP firewall temporarily while downloading XnView.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.