posting Excel graph results?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Richie,
I have been thinking about swapping to XP-sp2 for about 6months (MS no longer supports Win98) and just last week spoke to an expert amateur about what I should look out for during the changeover.

The thought of having to re-load/download all those programs is daunting and that they may not download is the latest!

athlonXP2200, 256Mb or 512Mb memory (two different chips), 166MHz ? buss, 80Gb hard (but the slower one),

Given your spec I would move to XP as fast as I could. It's far more stable. What I do is setup my system all nice then make an image of the disc using Ghost. Then when things go pear shaped, instead of reinstalling everything again, I just put the image back on which takes about 20-30 minutes.

I would also back up Lineup's recommendation to use OpenOffice. It's free, less bloated than MS Office, and I've had no compatability or interaction/usability/learning issues with it.

Do you have anybody that can supply ;) you with XP?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Richie:

I stuck with Win 98SE as long as I did because I began to take perverse pleasure in seeing how long I could go with a system which met my needs well, but which the experts had been sneering at for some time. :)

The only real reason I switched was that my 98SE machine apparently had it's hard drive damaged, and this XP machine happened to be handy.

The thing about XP-don't you have to notify Microsoft if you make more than a couple of changes in your peripherals, or else it shuts it down?

:)

I had WindowsME before.
O Boy!
That system is even worse than Win98.
I had crashes almost every day.

I have had WinXP for 1 year now. It is almost as stable as Linux.

I have tried some different Linux, for some months.
It is a totally stable and Virus Free!

Drawback with Linux:
Every time you buy something for your PC,
they have a CD with installation and drivers ..
What you need to use this CD?
Of course: Windows!
.. Scanner ... Digital Camera ... USB Memory .... etc etc.

Same thing with software.
They may often require Windows.
Does not matter if it is Nero Burning ROM
or whatever freeware.

If it wasn't for these compability problems,
I wouldn't use anything called Microsoft Windows.
I would go LINUX all the way!

lineup

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
lineup said:
:)

I had WindowsME before.
O Boy!
That system is even worse than Win98.
I had crashes almost every day.

lineup

I know of only ONE person who had Windows ME and found it to be satisfactory. Everyone else said it was a disaster.

It wasn't around long, I suspect they pulled it quick when they found out how much trouble people were having. That is why you hardly even see it mentioned-most people refer to Windows as 3.1/95/98/2000/XP. Now Vista. ME hardly even gets mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.