ATX power supply needs a load to run???????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK So I know about the connect the ground wire to the green wire to make a ATX power supply work when not connected to a Mobo. But MY next question is do I need a load to make it automatically stay on and " act like a AT power supply"?????? I have googled some and it seems I need to put a 10ohm/10v resistor or 2, 5v 5ohm resisters in series across a set of red and black wires. IM ok with all that But just was curious when I just jumper the green and black wires and plug in a sacrificial computer fan into the red and black wires I get a momentary attempt at the fan trying to run. Was this due to the fact that a single pc fan isnt a big enough load? and thus no continuous power? Thanks again.

Video Freak said:
OK So I know about the connect the ground wire to the green wire to make a ATX power supply work when not connected to a Mobo. But MY next question is do I need a load to make it automatically stay on and " act like a AT power supply"?????? I have googled some and it seems I need to put a 10ohm/10v resistor or 2, 5v 5ohm resisters in series across a set of red and black wires. IM ok with all that But just was curious when I just jumper the green and black wires and plug in a sacrificial computer fan into the red and black wires I get a momentary attempt at the fan trying to run. Was this due to the fact that a single pc fan isnt a big enough load? and thus no continuous power? Thanks again.

Hi.

Yes, you do need a load.

About 0.5A, usually on the +12v line, will keep it going. ( yellow / black ) [I used an old 3.5" hard drive for testing PSUs]

The connection between the 'Power on' and ground is only momentary.

Using an old AT supply is much easier and, with 12 years as owner of a computer business, they are more reliable!!

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.