Homebrew Spectrum Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My latest and greatest project is a home made spectrum analyzer.

I've built the basic prototype using a TV tuner board, a 555 sweep generator, some op-amps to achieve DC level shifting and amplification, and a simple transistor RF amp and diode detector.

The display is a general purpose oscilloscope.

Here is a picture of the analyzer displaying the output of a nearby oscillator running on a battery at about 100MHz. The analyzer is picking it up through the air.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More on it later, I will be doing a great deal of work on this to make a full-blown analyzer capable of operating from 0 - 500MHz or so.

Here is a hand-drawn image of my working prototype schematic.

There are no embellishments as of yet; no log amp in the video section, no filters, no bandwidth limiting, no sweep rate control, no nothing really.

It does, however, function very nicely in the bands available to the TV tuner. I've only got it set up on a 12V power supply and TV tuners usually like around 30V tuning range, so later I'll make a 30V supply and driver circuit to allow the tuner sweep to go all the way.

The extras I -did- add were spectrum width and center frequency controls. This at least allows me to move the band a bit and set my span.

I'll get back with more after I've developed the additions. I do plan to make some heterodyne circuits to allow this to tune in ranges outside of the tuner's bands; such as audio frequency, AM and HF radio bands, and perhaps something into the microwave area.

Hi
Nice work so far.
You can possibly use a single chip log amp for use of your AGC/det function. Use an opamp for some baseband/DC gain after this.

Is the tuner unmodified (ie PLL still closed loop) for close to the carrier (that is for audio) performance? I forgot the last IF freq for these tuners is it a SAT/TV tuner?

Lately I've been looking over this setup (perhaps the same one Pinkmouse is talking about?)

http://www.science-workshop.com/

Here's a site with some more info,etc.
http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/sa50.html

I was tempted to start ordering the parts of that kit,But maybe I'll see where this project goes first. ;)

I mostly need a spectrum analyser for my recent RF projects..But they're way too spendy for a poor geek like me..Unless I can build something suitable myself,I've got a well-stocked junk box! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.