Audible difference between DTS and Dolby?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Is anyone willing to share thoughts on this? Personally I have always chosen DTS when available, but had never bothered comparing similar versions (5.1, 6.1 matrix, 6.1 discrete) of DTS and Dolby.

I decided to do a comparision a few days ago, and, yes, I think there's an audible difference, and I perfer DTS. I have a low-spec Denon receiver and Zaph's W3-871 Tang Bands all round.

I've read a million magazine articles that say "Dolby formats are more compressed and therefore inferior". Do you agree?

Andrew.

It depends on the movie and the people doing the mix-downs as to which sounds better. I can come up with examples where I didn't like the DTS mix as much as I liked the DD mix, and vice-versa. Personally, when DTS is done right, I like it better, my speakers disappear more when using DTS. The Lord of the Rings special editions are a good example of this.

So to definitively say one is better than the other, can't really be done, it comes down to how well it was done for that movie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.