Equation Editor For The Posts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Is there any chance we can get an Equation Editor for the regular text portion of the posts? You know, square roots, exponential powers, things like that? I know there is a shorthand for that in regular text but it is almost incomprehensible to read.

I don't know if the capability even exists to accomplish this, but if it does, we can certainly use it. As it exists right now, I have to go to Microsoft Word, use Equation Editor 2.0, then save the file as a .gif and post it here as an illustration. :bawling: :bawling: Clumsy, but sometimes it is the only way. The "shorthand" is just too hard to visually follow.

Any chance of getting an Equation Editor capability in the posts?

You could always try using a monospace font (courier or lucida console) and doing an ASCII equation. "C code" could be used for things like sqrt(x) or log(y). Doesn't look as pretty as a GIF, but it works.

Also, MathCAD works wonderfully well for equations, once you get the hang of it. :xeye: There is an option to save as rich text format, but haven't really tried it. The equation could be copy/pasted into a GIF, too.

I would imagine that coding an equation editor would be more complicated that it's worth. :(

Mark Broker

I shouldn't show my age

in graduate school we were hooked up to a HP Mainframe (yes, they did make mainframes in the early 1970's) via GE Terminet teletype-printers -- thus the nomenclature for BASIC is readily understood.

There are equation plug-ins for MSWord, WordPerfect, I just go through the text and use font subscript and superscript, don't have to make those funny integrals anymore, and the entire greek alphabet is there.

Try reading a US patent sometime -- it's as if you were trying to follow a schematic where you couldn't see the connections and they just give you the nodes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kelticwizard said:
I have to go to Microsoft Word, use Equation Editor 2.0, then save the file as a .gif and post it here as an illustration

The technical problem is that the special characters that are used are all ASCII > 127 and there is no standard for these characters (ie when a windows guy types the built-in symbol for 1/2 all i see is an underscore "_").

The only way to guarantee an equation looks like you typed it is to make it a picture.

dave

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Equation Editor For The Posts?

planet10 said:

The technical problem is that the special characters that are used are all ASCII > 127 and there is no standard for these characters (ie when a windows guy types the built-in symbol for 1/2 all i see is an underscore "_").

The only way to guarantee an equation looks like you typed it is to make it a picture.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to allow for such characters, by simply making smilies for the desired symbols... just an idea.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.