diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Eagle handholding needed (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/94875-eagle-handholding-needed.html)

SY 23rd January 2007 10:46 AM

Eagle handholding needed

OK, I've taken the plunge and after 40 years of hardwiring and perfboards, I am actually trying to learn to design simple PCBs. But Eagle is giving me fits; I can't even seem to manage to do the simplest things.

First question, and please don't laugh, this is all new stuff to me. I draw a schematic by placing all the parts symbols on the grid. If I understand the tutorial correctly, I am then to interconnect them using the Net command. And that's where my misery begins. If I click on the end of the part lead in the little circle, then move to the bit I want to connect to, the instructions suggest that two clicks ends that net, and I can then proceed to the next connections. That doesn't happen- clicking twice does establish the connection, but doesn't terminate that net. If I click, then double-click, the net visually terminates, but when I give the board command, everything is connected together in one big short.

Please de-stupidify me.

jan.didden 23rd January 2007 10:58 AM

Stuart,

I am not familiar with Eagle, but the packages I used have something like left-click to fix a node in the wiring and/or double left to finish it but sometimes you need to do a right-click to get out of that particular wire and to start the next one. Did you try a right-click ?

Jan Didden

SY 23rd January 2007 11:07 AM

Yes, I did. And with some more diddling, I found that a single click followed by a double click seems to do the job. At last.

But many more questions will follow.

BTW, did you get my last email about RIAA noise, or should I resend from my work account?

ashok 23rd January 2007 11:18 AM

SY , I struggled the first few hours with Eagle. Never thought I'd be able to use it , but it turned out to be not bad at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Net command. To connect pads all I do is left click on the "wire" ( \ ) symbol on the panel on the left and then left click on the starting pad and move to the end pad and left click again. To stop there totally I press the " Esc " key or double click the left key.
Everytime you left click the track stops where the cursor is and you can move in other directions from there . Left click at some other point or pad and then move on . To completely stop the track press the Esc key or double click the left key.

Remember to select what kind of track you want from the selection shown on the second bar on top of the screen. Like 'any angle' , 'right angle bends', '45 deg angle bends' etc. You can also select the track width in a window somewhere on top. Check which layer you are on . It should be the top or bottom layer depending on your board type ( single or dual etc ).

Ashok.

SY 23rd January 2007 11:21 AM

Heh, the instructions explicitly say not to use wire for connections, but use net. I think the guy who wrote the manual and tutorial used to work for Microsoft.

I'm just doing single layer. I think.;)

ashok 23rd January 2007 11:40 AM

SY , it says you can use the Net command only in a schematic .
I was talking about the "Board" and manually placing parts on the board and wiring them up manually.

You are probably drawing out the schematic .
Cheers,
Ashok.

SY 23rd January 2007 11:48 AM

Exactly.

Thanks much for the help!

heater 23rd January 2007 01:14 PM

In the schematic editor I use wire (the / icon)

Left mouse click on a component terminal to start the wire.

Left click on another terminal to make that connection.

Now you can continue with that wire to another terminal OR if you click again in the same terminal it will finish that wire there. Not even a double click, you can do it slowly.

You can also start and end wires by clicking on existing wires and a junction will be made there.

Same works in PCB and it will draw a routed connection as you go.

In PCB using "signal" will get you an unrouted connection.

I never you the "net" option in SCM, no idea what it does.

scott wurcer 23rd January 2007 06:28 PM

I have to laugh, we had a similar conversation over lunch. I decided to use PCBexpress' mini-board service. The software is dummer, but easier on the brain. The schematic capture makes some nice looking output too. I did two preamp ideas and mike-capsule replacements (.6" round board). Both worked first time, needed a good cleaning though. At $59 for three day service, I still think it's the best deal. Now I just have to figure out how to cut out the little round boards.

SY 23rd January 2007 06:32 PM

I was using Eagle so that I could generate a standard Gerber for Advanced Circuits. The PCBexpress could be a better solution if it's easy enough for an old fart to understand. And you're even a little older than me.