Eagle handholding needed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2007, 11:12 AM   #31
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: I am joining the party!

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX

You have to end the polygon exactly where you started.
Eagle can do this for you.When drawing a polygon, double-click at the last point of the polygon you want to draw.
Eagle will automatically connect that point to your starting-point.

klaas
Old 29th January 2007, 06:13 PM   #32
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Regarding the "Windows" - Paradigm: Eagle is Unix software, ported to Linux, Windows and Mac OS.

Cheers.
Old 29th January 2007, 06:29 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sek
Regarding the "Windows" - Paradigm: Eagle is Unix software, ported to Linux, Windows and Mac OS.

Cheers.
Then I apologise, but for non Unix users (although I did "grep" around in past times ;-) it does start off being counter-intuitive.

I guess that means that "intuative" is what one is used to.
Old 29th January 2007, 07:29 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess that means that "intuative" is what one is used to.
Exactly, because applying tools to selected objects via the contextual menu is neither a Windows (or Microsoft) invention, not is it standard.

The usual - and actually more intuitive - way in professional tools (be it audio, video, graphics, design, etc.) is: first grab a tool, then use it on an object. Just like in real life...

OTOH, Eagle doesn't implement contextual menus at all, though. Why the manufacturer Cadsoft still does that is beyond me...

S.
Old 29th January 2007, 09:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default I think I have hijacked Sy's thread !

But while I have your attention .....

1) I am used to using a 0.1" dot grid. When I display it I still cannot place components so that a pad sits on a grid point. Some do, some don't and I cannot see the logic.

2) I can't see how to create a board outline. Obviously I can draw a line around the board, but how to get this on all layers? What about registration marks?

Now I see the Unix port and understand - most of the help refers to CLI. Pity as the basic engine is very good.
Old 29th January 2007, 09:30 PM   #36
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I think I have hijacked Sy's thread !

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
But while I have your attention .....

2) I can't see how to create a board outline. Obviously I can draw a line around the board, but how to get this on all layers? What about registration marks?

A board outline is done with the 'dimension' layer as far as I recall. Select this layer and draw a trace around the board. It will show on all layers unless you disable viewing this layer.
Old 29th January 2007, 09:56 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I think I have hijacked Sy's thread !

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
1) I am used to using a 0.1" dot grid. When I display it I still cannot place components so that a pad sits on a grid point. Some do, some don't and I cannot see the logic.
The same thing drives me nuts for a day...than I figure it out: if a component in question was place in different grid (like 0.0125"), and you copy it, and you decide to change a grid to 0.1", chances are (8:1) that the new component will be placed in incorrect grid. Switch the grid again to 0.0125", move the component a bit until it fix to 0,1" grid.
Old 29th January 2007, 11:42 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Both questions have been answered (thanks ).

To add a bit: The grid is also imposed in the component library. If you happen to place a component into a grid that isn't anything like a multiple of the component grid, then the component center will match the grid and the component pins/pads won't! Changing grid after having placed components does also only work with "compatible" (e.g. multiple) grid values (smallest common denominator of any number of grid values in question).

Also, board outlines really only belong into the dimension layer, while registration marks can be placed onto each copper layer, for example. The Eagle distribution contains a couple of "scripts" to accomplish exactly this for you, namely by clicking "File" -> "Run Script" (or clicking the script tool button) and choosing, e.g., "euro.scr". This example script shows you how it can be done. I wrote my own scripts for various board size and registration mark types. You can also draw your favourite dimension outline and layer registrations into an empty board file and "Export..." it into a script file.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Hide this!Advertise here!