Eagle handholding needed - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2007, 03:55 AM   #21
batee is offline batee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pars
I always use the schematic editor first. I always name nets also, at least the important stuff like GND/AGND/DGND, Vcc or other voltage sources, etc.

How do you name nets? Is there a way to end a net in a label (to show connection to a bus such as a clock)? Or do I have to connect each and every device on the bus using nets and showing the connection in the schematic? I'm looking to clean up a microprocessor schematic?

Bryan A. Thompson
bryan@batee.com
Old 24th January 2007, 04:12 AM   #22
Pars is offline Pars  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by batee

How do you name nets? Is there a way to end a net in a label (to show connection to a bus such as a clock)? Or do I have to connect each and every device on the bus using nets and showing the connection in the schematic? I'm looking to clean up a microprocessor schematic?

Bryan A. Thompson
bryan@batee.com
I just click on the Name tool, then click the signal in the schematic that I want to name. And yes, you can (IIRC) use connectors and each signal that is on the same named net will be connected. Here's a schematic that I did this for the +12V in.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: txt readme.txt (5.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 24th January 2007, 05:01 AM   #23
batee is offline batee  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you Pars.

Bryan
Old 24th January 2007, 04:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Just got back online, and it looks like you guys have covered all the bases. Eagle does have a steep learning curve, but it's much easier than a lot of programs that have the same functionality. However, in my experience a lot of these powerful programs have slightly different interfaces, and sometimes you need to try several before you get one that clicks with the way your mind works.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th January 2007, 07:23 PM   #25
RDL2004 is offline RDL2004  United States
diyAudio Member

You might also look at DipTrace. They offer a free version and I have heard good things about it. I haven't had time to try it myself though.

DipTrace
Old 26th January 2007, 10:51 PM   #26
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello SY, batee,

Generally, one should never use the wire tool for anything that does belong to a certain potential. The wire tool is for drawing general wiring that should be placed by hand, but it belongs to one and the same potential wherever you use it. That explains the wire glob when crossing muliple of them.

If you want to declare electrical routes of different potential, use a net for each such connection. The name is a little misleading, but that's just because the most simple case of connecting two component pins is a special case of the general net functionality. Nets get a default name that you can generally keep and leave alone. OTOH, you can even label a net (via the label tool) if you fell like it (as I mentioned in the bus explanation). And here shows why a net is a net and not just a wire. You can join different nets together - basically what makes multiple connections a true network. But I don't recommend this for regular signal wiring.

Spreading nets across the schematic is for distributing power, ground, clock etc., without having to draw an explicit connection between two grounds. The way Eagle does this is really that easy: different nets that you connect to, e.g., a ground become all named like the ground symbol you connect to them. Thus, connecting the very same ground symbol to some nets makes them all the same ground. The board will then reflect this by generating "air wires" across this whole net to remind you that the different parts of the net have to get an electrical connection ultimately before the board layout can be considered finished (in general, a board layout is valid when it has no rule check errors and no air wires left).

There's even a bus drawing tool just left of the net drawing tool. Basically, you can draw bus bars where you want them. You can then connect nets to the bus bar and branch them off at any other place along the bus length. Makes it easier to see a bus route by looking at it. You can then name and/or label the bus wires to suit your needs, but it is not strictly neccessary to name them beautifully...

So long,
Sebastian.
Old 28th January 2007, 09:56 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default I am joining the party!

Having used heavyweight (ORCAD, PADS) CAD years ago but forgottem them, I am trying Eagle for the first time for DIY projects.

One basic problem is that it has the Windows pardigram the wrong way round! It should be select an object (eg Pad) then right click for a list of things to do with it. Eagle insists on selecting a function and then applying it to an object.

Autorouting on anything but dense logic layouts with strict component grids is a waste of time. For analogue, just say no.

How on earth do I pour copper and attach it to a net ???? The Help file gets one into writing scripts - great fun but I don't want to do that yet!

Keep telling myself this is FREE
Old 28th January 2007, 10:33 PM   #28
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: I am joining the party!

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
How on earth do I pour copper and attach it to a net ????
Click the polygon button in the toolbar on the left side, go to the command line and type in the net name you'd like to give it, and draw the border of the copper pour in your layout. You have to end the polygon exactly where you started. Now click the Ratsnest button and it will render the copper pour. If you'd like to get rid of the pour click the Ripup button and click on the border of the pour. It won't delete the polygon it will just remove the pour.
Old 28th January 2007, 11:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

A fast and excellent reply, Brian.

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2007, 12:21 AM   #30
kvholio is offline kvholio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There's another approach to this.
Draw your polygon. Press ratsnest. the polygon is created.
Darn, it doesn't connect to the net, it's applying your clearance-rules you set in your design-rules (under Edit- at the bottom)

Go to the buttons on the left, go to the most-left row. the 9th button from the top has the tag "name".click it to select this function.

Click on the net on your board to find out it's name.Dont change it.just press ok or cancel.

Click on one of the lines of the polygon you just created.
Change the existing name to the name of the net you want to connect to.
Eagle will ask you if you want to connect the signals and use a name. choose a name and confirm.

Klaas

Hide this!Advertise here!