Acoustics - would this work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, my accoustics are terrible and theres nothing I can do about it due to my living arrangement. OR IS THERE?

frame.jpg

The plan is to build a room inside a room which I can take apart and transport to a new house if necessary. A number of pine frames will be built, filled with rockwooll and covered with some material. These panels will then be bolted together to form the room. The floor of the booth will be laid upon neoprene pads to separate it from the room entirely.

Sound PROOFING is not really an issue. I'm not worried about sound getting out, and there is not much sound to get back in - only that which is reflected back from the main room. The whole idea of this project would just be to achieve decent acoustics. For this reason, I would leave the faces of the panels open.

Ventilation will be covered by an external aircon with baffled ducts. So theres nothing to worry about in that regard.

Now, is this a stupid and totally impossible idea? Or is it within the realm of possibility? The room would be roughly 2 x 2.56 x 3.08m (Height x Width x Length).

Sorry, I haven't really explained the situation well enough.

I can't treat any room in the house. It's not going to happen, even if the panels are freestanding. Despite much debate with the parents, they won't have any of it. Tough love huh?

They have said, however, that I can do whatever I want out in the garage (a huge corrugated iron shed). I can't simply hang panels in there either, because there is a car in there. My only option is to build some kind of room which kind of acoustically isolates me from the surroundings. Either that or I go and waste thousands of dollars doing all my recording at a studio (my city is very small, prices are high). Even then, I won't be able to mix my songs well due to the terrible acoustics in my room! :(

echosystm said:
Sorry, I haven't really explained the situation well enough.

I can't treat any room in the house. It's not going to happen, even if the panels are freestanding. Despite much debate with the parents, they won't have any of it. Tough love huh?

They have said, however, that I can do whatever I want out in the garage (a huge corrugated iron shed). I can't simply hang panels in there either, because there is a car in there. My only option is to build some kind of room which kind of acoustically isolates me from the surroundings. Either that or I go and waste thousands of dollars doing all my recording at a studio (my city is very small, prices are high). Even then, I won't be able to mix my songs well due to the terrible acoustics in my room! :(

Sorry to hear you got busted. You "can" mix with a set of closed headphones, then take your recording on the road with you and listen to it on different systems in the car and at your friends home. Once you are comfortable with the set up, you will establish a "reference sound". Make the best of what you have and after you get your references established you will know what to do to compensate. Also, you can have your recordings mastered elsewhere when you feel you are finished with them.

A completely soft surface surounding you is actually not ideal. It should be a balance of hard and soft surfaces.

Many great recordings were made under strange circumstances. ;)

What ever you do, don't give up.

Shawn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.