Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2007, 05:11 AM   #1
parsh78 is offline parsh78  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to parsh78 Send a message via Yahoo to parsh78
Post Cost effective wireless music across home

Hi All,

I am the kind of person how eats with music, sleeps with music, works with music, live with music and breathe music.

I felt like having small speakers all across my home playing exact same music at pleasant volume rather than just a pair of speakers in leaving room screaming.

For a moment I thought of putting wires and ampli-speakers all across my home. I realized that cost of this solution turned out to be higher than my budget.

So I thought of streaming music wirelessly.

I thought of options for wireless.
1. WIFI (Way expensive as I would require hub and receivers like Sonos, Air)
2. BlueTooth (Very low range)
3. FM transmission

I chose the last one as it was the best and pretty much in my budget.

Here's what I did, I built a FM transmitter (I could not use IPOD transmitter as they come with just 5 Ft range.) and connected it with a twin-scopic antenna. Then I connected this transmitter to my PC (where I have my MP3 dump) and set a frequency 88 Mhz on the transmitter to broadcast at... that's it

I tuned my FM radios to 88Mhz and I became the happiest person on earth. I have got myself 3 more FM radios and kept it in kitchen, bath, bedroom and toilet too… Now I can hear MP3s, Internet radio from my PC all across my home. Not just that, I can connect the transmitter to TV headphone out and listen to VH1, Channel [V] etc through my home.

If anyone is interested in this idea let me know… I would be glad to help you out…

Happy listening
Old 17th January 2007, 05:15 AM   #2
parsh78 is offline parsh78  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to parsh78 Send a message via Yahoo to parsh78
Default Cost of this solution

Hi all just in case you are wondering what was the cost?

Transmitter with antenna cost = 2K
FM radios extra.

Hide this!Advertise here!