Good John Curl Article on Capacitors - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2007, 11:44 PM   #21
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you go to Ivor Catt's site he comes off like a nutbar. That's not to say he isn't right, or brilliant, or faster-stronger-smarter but he sure reads like a loon.
Old 16th January 2007, 12:24 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

You know what they say about something that quacks like a duck.
Old 16th January 2007, 01:13 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:
Originally posted by serengetiplains
You know what they say about something that quacks like a duck.

Might be a duck call?

“No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.”

Aristotle

“When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.”

Jonathan Swift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (1.4 KB, 468 views)
Old 16th January 2007, 01:20 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 1/137 Send a message via Skype™ to 1/137
Default I don't want my in-box to be polluted by all this nonsense about Maxwell's equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt

The Nobel Laureate Dr Gerardus 't Hooft, who won the prize in 1999 for work on electroweak gauge theory, stated recently:

Please remove me from this list. I don't want my in-box to be polluted by all this nonsense about Maxwell's equations. The Maxwell equations correctly describe the propagation of signals as well as the conservation of charge in capacitors, period. Keep me out of any further discussions. [22]
Old 16th January 2007, 02:58 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quack quack, quack ...
Old 16th January 2007, 05:40 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I've run across Catt before. He fulfills my first indicator of crackpot, publishing in popular unreviewed journals while claiming that there is a conspiracy against his ideas in the professional community. It's also interesting that while he rails against a mathematical basis for physics he seems to champion Heaviside who built at least one mathematical framework for circuit analysis.
Old 16th January 2007, 06:17 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Scott, I think the guy is a little unruly, but I think that he might be on to something. I abstain from making a definitive judgement about him.
Old 16th January 2007, 07:13 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. The problem is Catt and Hawksford too, for that matter, are pretty intelligent and well educated in their diciplines so the average layman can't engage them in a useful argument. We have to count on professionals in the scientific community to set aside their time (at usually no compensation) to clearly counter their claims.

As one case, it was reported to me that Hawksfords articles on wire and skin effect were full of misunderstandings (this was from a professor of electromagnetics at a major university). Of course this person has no personal or economic incentive to formally publish a counter article so must remain anonymous.
Old 16th January 2007, 07:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scott wurcer
Fair enough. The problem is Catt and Hawksford too, for that matter, are pretty intelligent and well educated in their diciplines so the average layman can't engage them in a useful argument. We have to count on professionals in the scientific community to set aside their time (at usually no compensation) to clearly counter their claims.
I've no idea about Catt, but Hawksford is an absolute beast in his discipline..major beast.."pretty intelligent", from what I've read from him, is an understatement.

Quote:
Originally posted by scott wurcer

As one case, it was reported to me that Hawksfords articles on wire and skin effect were full of misunderstandings (this was from a professor of electromagnetics at a major university). Of course this person has no personal or economic incentive to formally publish a counter article so must remain anonymous.
That person would be correct.

Using the TEM wave equation for skin depth in a cylindrical conductor is erroneous, leading to incorrect results. It is best used for planar structures of infinite dimensions, not for wires. Using the approximation equation beyond it's useful range is not going to produce results consistent with reality.

Ignoring the internal permeability of a steel conductor, while using the math derived for a copper one is also an error. This he did within his article.

There are a few more errors of assumption, but two will do..

Cheers, John
Old 17th January 2007, 02:03 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

ooops I take everything back, Ivor Catt's homophobic rants don't belong in polite society, he it truely someone to be ignored.

Hide this!Advertise here!