Phosphor Question For You Chemist Types - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Phosphor Question For You Chemist Types

I am planning to cut in a strobe pattern for my turntable project, and thought it would be nifty to have a “ghost” strobe. That is, it wouldn't be seen unless directly under the strobe light. I was thinking that if I covered some phosphor harvested from some florescent light tubes with a epoxy doped with a dark dye the same color as the light source, it might have the effect I'm looking for.

O.K., let me know how and why this will or will not work. I am more than willing to experiment, as long as there is a chance for success, I simply do not know enough about the properties of phosphor, let alone all the variants, to “ballpark” my chances.

Thanx for helping out a guy who doesn't even know enough to be dangerous.

-Casey
Old 11th January 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Contact your local theatrical supplies shop, they will be able to get hold of a Rosco paint, transparent under normal light, but that glows green under UV. Or you could have a try with those security marking pens. Both are simpler and less toxic than messing with broken tubes.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th January 2007, 07:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey Pinkmouse-

Quote:
Contact your local theatrical supplies shop, they will be able to get hold of a Rosco paint, transparent under normal light, but that glows green under UV.
Told ya I was Schtoopid

I looked at Rosco's site, but didn't find anything that tripped my trigger, but it got me Google'n around, and I found these guys. They make a product that's truly clear, durable (they say it lasts for years if you keep it out of the sun), and available in blue..my color of choice.

Thanx for herding me in the right direction

Now, can someone point me at a source for 375nM UV LED's that doesn't require I buy a hundred, or have any visible light emission (OK, a little visible won't kill me)?

-Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!