Aluminum Hookup Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Teflon coated wire is the only type of hookup wire that is used in the F-15 aircraft...A little trivia. I would prefer to use it.I have not seen any with aluminum conductor though.Usually it is silver coated copper. The teflon is a little more difficult to strip off . I used a electric wire stripper when I was in the "Force" and working on avionics equipment.

Hi,
is the weight saving of significance to your proposed use?

Copper is about three times heavier but about 60% of resistance.
There is a significant weight saving when the cross-section is adjusted to match voltage loss (resistance). However the fatter aluminium conductor will run a little cooler.

How are you planning to connect the aluminium, you can forget all the conventional copper type fixings. Solder does not work and wire wrap doesn't either. A mechanical fixing must cut through the insulating oxide surface and the gas tight joint must stop all future oxidation. The mechanical deformation will reduce the fatigue life at the joint and may lead to premature cracking and failure.
Which grade of aluminium will you be using?

You'll gather that unless you are flying, or in some competitive motorsports' arena then I do not recommend aluminium.

If you want exotic wire, I get the bare Cardas silver from Michael Percy, and teflon sleeving to fit. Sounds good, solders well, costs.

The reviews on silver coated copper are variable. Apparently some is heavily coated, some barely coated; some apparently sounds vile, some very good. So I just avoid the whole thing, and use the solid silver.

You shouldn't be paying much more than the market price of silver (about $200/kg).

Why waste money on Cardas when you can buy soft tempered fine silver wire from a jeweler?

Do you cut the legs of electronics parts ultra-short so there is less signal path through copper? Did you wind your transformer with silver? Your mains cable? If you use PCBs instead of point to point, is it silver instead of copper PCB? :devilr:

Copper clad Aluminium

Copper clad aluminum is a composite wire consisting of an aluminum core clad with ETP copper. Even though the material is 90% aluminum, the wire has high frequency electrical properties equal to solid copper. MWS Wire Industries produces a broad line or round, flat, square, and rectangular copper clad aluminum wire. Copper clad bare, plated, and film insulated. Copper clad aluminum is widely used in applications requiring the conductivity of copper while retaining much of the weight advantages of aluminum.

D.C. conductivity....65% IACS
14 to 40 AWG

Regards
James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.