Wire gets hot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess this is the 12V feed cable for a high-power amp in a car?

12AWG is 4mm^2 cross-sectional area and has a current rating of 40A.

10AWG is 6mm^2 cross-sectional area and has a current rating of 53A.

If you really are taking 80A then 11AWG isn't enough. 8AWG will be ok, but it's very thick wire!

Hayden said:
Are all wire the same because I’m using heavy speaker wire or should I be using proper brushless wire that I don’t have.
There are 3 wires going to the motor the ones with the clear insulation.

Are you sure the wire is heating up due to its resistance or is the resistance of the lugged connection causing heating that is traveling up the wire? The contact resistance is likely to be higher than that of the wire. If you replace the wire with something heavier but keep the lugs your wire may continue to heat up.

I_F

I have never run a pack flat yet because I have always pranged it first the most I have got is around 15min and it flies:)
Its a 1200 watt brushless motor so is it 1200 \ 14.8 = 81A? the motor, batt and control gets just warm basically cold the speed control is a 160A continuous on a 14.8 3.7amp 20c lipo

I will change connections on my next motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.