Audio Joke !!!!!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Joke !!!!!!!!

all this time i am a member of this forum ( yet ammatuer and inexpirienced in design ) i noticed all this wonderfull people of the forum working with terms like THD , idle current, transistor foldback, W rms, voltage, swing , mosfets, BJTs and many many others ...... nice glossary for all the audio people ....

i wish to add a new term ..... its called OD/SC

WHICH MEANS OUTPUT DEVICES PER SCHEMATIC .......!!!!!

This will give you the number of burned transistors that you need to make one schematic to work and this you have to calculate toghether with individual expirience and/or wrong or bad evaluated schematic !!!!!!

just now i ve been a victim of my own inexpirience and made nistakes on a very nice design that cost me many many nice mosfets..... but ...i am learning ......

Given the opertunity i would like to thank so much Dr Bora Jagodic
for sharing with me one very nice design ..... that produces amounts of power toghether with vey warm and clear sound .....

thank you bora so much !!!!!!
Old 9th January 2007, 10:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe the more general term "semiconductor devices per circuit" would even suit more users !!!

Regards

Charles
Old 9th January 2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

No, the universal measure is mililitres of air drawn through teeth.

Which is normally related to the price of the mistake/ difficulty to replace/inconvenience of it being a weekend etc...
Old 9th January 2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

I often find an inverse relationship of air to cost - as my mouth is drawn tighter under higher pressure.

of course, I have a break-over point - at which the smoke begins to emit from the ears, and loud noises (not unlike the sound of nouns, verbs and adjectives) are emitted - at this point the millilitres per cost is exponential over time.
Old 13th January 2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ah yes. Nothing like charred fibreglass and flames to prove you've a mistake, or design error. Been there, done that.

One particular problem child was a 100/w amp I had redesigned the o/p stage with bipolars rather than fets. It sounded very clean, but had an instability problem, which would take out the emitter resistors in the driver stage, without warning, in one or the other channel. Fortunately, the rest was so robust, it wasn't destroying 8 x $28 transistors.

The most embarrassing moment this occurred was during a party, playing "smoke on the water". But twenty minutes later, we were back on the air again, to the amazement of a few.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Old 13th January 2007, 02:04 AM   #6
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

People are always so afraid of smoke, try to see the positive side effect of the 'atmosphere' it creates!
Old 13th January 2007, 02:59 AM   #7
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

the atmosphere around a smoked electrolytic is not so positive...if you ask me.
Old 13th January 2007, 03:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Agreed, but not as bad as enamel on freshly annealed copper.

V-bro may have different ideas, after all, he does have a unique method of measuring cone excursion in a non repetitive manner.
Old 13th January 2007, 07:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

one of the worst sounds you can hear is MMMMMMTP!!!!!!!!! (a short burst of 60hz followed by a loud click and pop) that's usually an expensive sound...... i once worked on a harmon kardon that would go "ticticticpffp" after it was repaired...... the oscope revealed the ticking as a 10khz oscillation in the amp that occurred in short repetitive bursts until the output transistors shorted.
Old 13th January 2007, 07:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The better HKs have things that glow in the dark, intentionally.

Why is that the o/p transistors don't go s/c at the same time? Must be a competition. The survivor gets to have a go at the speaker.

Hide this!Advertise here!