Laptop recommendation? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 06:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
jeff mai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Melbourne
Default Laptop recommendation?

Can someone recommend a laptop with a good, bright screen, cheap, and physically small. I'd prefer something less than 3 years old and widely available second hand. Long battery life, USB 2.0 and wireless would be good bonuses.

I'm fairly computer savvy, but am too lazy to go through a huge research effort. Some suggestions will help give me a short list.

The primary use will be reading previously downloaded audio related documents in bed!
 
Old 9th January 2007, 06:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Default Re: Laptop recommendation?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai
Can someone recommend a laptop with a good, bright screen, cheap, and physically small. I'd prefer something less than 3 years old and widely available second hand. Long battery life, USB 2.0 and wireless would be good bonuses.

I'm fairly computer savvy, but am too lazy to go through a huge research effort. Some suggestions will help give me a short list.

The primary use will be reading previously downloaded audio related documents in bed!

IBM X40, no contest. I own one myself.

It weighs 2.7 lbs; has a 3-hour battery life (six hours with extended battery), and is often found on eBay with a warranty for under $650 - that's how much I paid for mine a few months ago.
 
Old 9th January 2007, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
spzzzzkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
you can pick up an apple powerbook g4 12.1" ex-demo for under $1000AU. A bit heavier than the ibm mentioned, but longer battery life (upto 5 hours), cdrw/dvdr drive, wireless, bluetooth etc, etc. If you give the guys at http://www.jollymac.com.au a call they usually have reasonable range of machines that have come back off lease at good prices.

cheers
Paul

ps... I'm enjoying the Aleph 30's
 
Old 10th January 2007, 12:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by spzzzzkt
you can pick up an apple powerbook g4 12.1" ex-demo for under $1000AU. A bit heavier than the ibm mentioned, but longer battery life (upto 5 hours), cdrw/dvdr drive, wireless, bluetooth etc, etc. If you give the guys at http://www.jollymac.com.au a call they usually have reasonable range of machines that have come back off lease at good prices.

cheers
Paul

ps... I'm enjoying the Aleph 30's

The G4 12" powerbook would often have battery life of under four hours. In addition, unlike the modern MacBooks, the PBG4's cannot run Windows applications.

As a side note, the wireless reception of the Powerbooks was awful - metal blocks RF as we well know. In contrast, the X40 has far above average reception.

In addition, the Powerbook G4 weighs 4.6 lbs, to the 2.7lbs of the X40.

If you want a lightweight laptop, you're better off with an ibook - you can get a 1ghz G4 ibook for about $550USD at geeks.com. While it's a little heavier, the wifi reception is better, and it costs much less.

The IBM T-series is another option if you would prefer a laptop with a built-in optical drive an bigger screen. I saw a T41 with a 1.6ghz G4 and 10-month Lenovo warranty for $450 buy-it-now on eBay a while back.
 
Old 10th January 2007, 01:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
spzzzzkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
well that's not quite true... there are several applications that allow you to run windows on the G3 and G4 macs, including Virtual PC which was purchased by MS a few years ago. In fact about 5 years ago I had a Red Hat Linux i386 distro running very happily under Virtual PC on a g3 desktop.

What the core duo macs allow you do is dual boot into Windows or, using parallels desktop, run windows inside a virtual machine, either of which is a speedier option than the emulation of i386 architecture that is required on g3/g4's. I'm using an older version of Virtual PC with win2k pro on my 1.5ghz powerbook g4 and it is sufficient to run the odd windows app that doesn't have mac/*nix equivalent - mainly things like duncans psudII. It doesn't sound as tho Jeff was planning on using the laptop for much except reading documents...

I know the wireless range on powerbooks has been described as woeful but I've been able to use mine at the opposite end of various suburban houses from the base station without issues. I have had some trouble at work, but the walls are 12" thick solid bluestone and a co-worker with a toshiba laptop has similar issues.

anyway it was just a suggestion, not a declaration of jihad.

cheers
Paul
 
Old 10th January 2007, 02:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by spzzzzkt
well that's not quite true... there are several applications that allow you to run windows on the G3 and G4 macs, including Virtual PC which was purchased by MS a few years ago. In fact about 5 years ago I had a Red Hat Linux i386 distro running very happily under Virtual PC on a g3 desktop.
l

The problem with VPC is that it costs a lot of money - expect to pay $150 for a liscense for WinXP, plus the cost of the software, which is at least $100.

If you're willing to spend a grand on a laptop, the MacBook ($1100, $1,000 after student/teacher discount) is a very nice machine. It's blisteringly fast (the 1.83ghz C2D in the base model will smoke a 3.8ghz Pentium 4 across the board), and while the video card (GMA900) is lacking, it's more than adequate for anything except gaming - in fact, it's a fine machine for video editing and other such CPU-intensive tasks.

Dual booting into Windows will require the purchase of a WinXP liscense, though.
 
Old 10th January 2007, 02:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
jeff mai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Melbourne
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They are all a little on the expensive side for what I'm after - I should have said $500 AUD or a little more is my budget. My main motivation is solely to avoid printing and storage of hard copies for bedside reading. I don't really require wireless networking, though it might be nice to have.
 
Old 10th January 2007, 02:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin....what did you expect?
Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff mai
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They are all a little on the expensive side for what I'm after - I should have said $500 AUD or a little more is my budget. My main motivation is solely to avoid printing and storage of hard copies for bedside reading. I don't really require wireless networking, though it might be nice to have.

IBM X20 series should be adequate.
 
Old 10th January 2007, 02:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
spzzzzkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
quick look at ebay.com.au - g3 900mhz iBooks are sub $500AU with less than 1 hour remaining... There is one IBM X20 4 days out with 7 bids currently at $150AU fwiw.
 
Old 10th January 2007, 03:46 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
An old G3 Pismo (if you can find one) would be a value leader. Doesn't have USB 2 thou (1,1) i think. I found mine in a dumpster (but it needed a new battery (which i had lying around), and a bag of cookies for an old belkin wireless card.

The G4 iBooks are probably your best bet thou. For doing what you need, there is no need to run Windows (and who would if they could avoid it?), OS X is the richest browser environment in the world. With enuff RAM, any of these will run the latest OS

Used Apple laptops are not too common, because they tend to get used to death.

Certainly best bang-for-the-buck in new laptops is the macBook (ie iBook replacement). Not the cheapest laptop in the world, but 100s less than a comparable Windows only laptop.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
 

Closed Thread


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
laptop recommendation jmikes Multi-Way 0 28th December 2004 01:56 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2