replacing a 800mA fuse with a 1amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fuse in my kenwood amp has blown, its a 800mA fuse, im wondering if its safe to replace it with a 1amp fuse as this is all i have at home and id really like to listen to some music now.

I can get to the shops tommorrow and get a pack of 10 for £1 so if im going to do any damage by replacing it with a 1amp fuse I can wait.

I wasnt sure which sub section of the forum this belongs to so i put it here, hope thast ok.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you knew for sure that nothing is wrong with the amp and the fuse died, well, just because we all die some day, you could do the 1A try-out till tomorrow.
But in most cases, fuses blow for a reason.
It's against all logic to tell you its safe without knowing why the fuse blew. Just like telling someone who can hardly swim to dive in a deep pool. But then, one can drawn in a glass of water.

Also, is it the mains fuse or speaker protection or...?

/Hugo :)

Its not the mains fues, Ive opened the amp up and taken the transformer out, on the underside the are 4 fuses.

3 are fine, 1 is clearly blown. they are all made of glass and i can see the wire has a break in the middle with a small lump on the end of each break where its melted.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Go and buy 630mA and 800mA fuses tomorrow.
Replace with 630mA. If it blows, something is wrong.
If you have no experience, take your beloved amp to a good service tech. If it doesn't replace with 800mA and celebrate with a nice glass of wine. ;)

/Hugo

atsnom said:
surely if i put a lower mA fuse it it will definetly blow ???

The normal operating current will be much less than 800ma.
So you can use the 630ma fuse as a test if it doesn’t blow then
you know the rest of the circuit is ok. If it pops the 630 right off
the bat then you know there’s a problem in the circuit someplace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.