My log/beginner's electronics reference - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2007, 01:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My log/beginner's electronics reference

Hello, all

I would like no reference to be made henceforth on my horribly embarrassing past mistakes on this forum. My only excuse is that my past years have left me with an extreme distrust for the rest of the human race. It seems that I only can do something that someone tells me to when I myself decide that I will benefit from it.

But, instead of just quitting out for two years I have decided to make a document about beginner basics that will also show my progress as I [finally] scour the web for electronics resources. I have attached the following document as the rough draft for the first few pages of my log/beginner's reference. Eventually, I may publish this as a free document on the internet.

Everything in this document at its current state I have previously known about atoms and anything else mentioned. I would hardly imagine that I have a mistake at this level, but we'll see soon enough.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf basic electronics by anthony tuttle.pdf (58.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 6th January 2007, 07:47 AM   #2
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

you start with
ELEKTRON

quite right
the words: elektricity, elektronik comes from those elektrons

Originally was a Greek word elektron for Amber, Bernstein.
And when you rub amber it is made static electricity.
This is how the phenomena 'electricity' got its name.
From the Greek word from the Amber material.

I guess we all have had some lecture in school,
where teacher used a cat skin to create static electricity
and make some lightning sparks.

Amber jewellery:
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
History

The English name comes from the Arabic عنبر, ʻanbar, probably through Spanish , but this word referred originally to ambergris, which is an animal substance quite distinct from yellow amber.
True amber has sometimes been called kahroba, a word of Persian derivation signifying "that which attracts straw", in allusion to the power which amber possesses of acquiring an electric charge by friction. This property, first recorded by Thales of Miletus, suggested the word "electricity", from the Greek, elektron, a name applied, however, not only to amber but also to an alloy of gold and silver.
By Latin writers amber is variously called electrum, sucinum (succinum), and glaesum or glesum. The Old Hebrew חשמל hashmal seems to have meant amber,
although Modern Hebrew uses Arabic-inspired ענבר `inbar while חשמל hashmal means electricity.

The German word is Bernstein ("burn stone"), which comes from the Middle Low German bernen which means burning, this word is a cognate to Dutch barnsteen.
This is likely related to the fact that amber can, indeed, burn.
The Polish bursztyn was derived from the German name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber

funny knowledge
provided by
lineup

------------------------------
What did you use to create that nice PDF document, keantoken?
Hope it is some free software, I can download
Old 7th January 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the late response, Lineup.

About the software, completely free!
Open source, infact.
It is called OpenOffice and can be downloaded from

http://www.openoffice.org.

Once you open up the writing program and write something, click that icon on the toolbar at the top of the screen that has PDF in very small letters written on it. If you can't find it, right-click the toolbar and click "add buttons" (or something to that effect) then you should be able to see an icon like the one described.

It is almost exactly like Microsoft Word in its capabilities, but its layout is somewhat different.

I will be adding more on to the PDF, but I'm entangled in some other things, so... Happy January 7th!

- keantoken
Old 7th January 2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lineup
I guess we all have had some lecture in school,
where teacher used a cat skin to create static electricity
and make some lightning sparks.
The teacher would have been exceedingly sorry!!!!!

I think he used a silk rag.

I am in such a mood... misplaced the switch for the preamp I am assembling last night... I have cleaned my WHOLE workshop wasteing the WHOLE day, and nada!!!!

******* thing was expensive, and now I'll probably only find it right after I walk into the house with a new one.
Old 7th January 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nordic
The switch is always found in the last place you look---Murphy's Law..LOL
Old 7th January 2007, 11:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The teacher would have been exceedingly sorry!!!!!
I knew I wasn't the only one who felt sympathy for the cat who lost its life just so that the teacher could make sparks...

Oh well...

I have a Sharp 5 CD Changer/Radio/Video and Phono input/Balance control/5 Band EQ./Tape Player from 1992...

And I love it! It isn't one of those horrible ones that you can buy at walmart for $80... Then you get it home, listen, and bury yourself in agony over the crackling trebles! Fortunately, I have had no such experience - I narrowly avoided it by going to Office Depot and listening to their display speakers... It seems that only Creative can make worthwhile PC speakers. Why is this???

Even they have >10%THD, though. And you can't find anything less than that at any office or computer store nowadays... *sigh*

I will permit general friendly nontalk, but please don't make it span farther than this first page. Just so that this topic can generate interest easier. I might not be able to work on my document for a small while, so I'd not want for this topic to go under so quickly.

- keantoken
Old 7th January 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keantoken
About the software, completely free! Open source, in fact.
It is called OpenOffice and can be downloaded from
http://www.openoffice.org
I will be adding more on to the PDF, but I'm entangled in some other things, so... Happy January 7th!
I know about OpenOffice. So this is what you used.
Nice result!
... i may download the latest windos version of www.openoffice.org freeware
... and try if i can do this myself

Regardas, keantoken
from
lineup
Old 8th January 2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Yipeeeeee! found it, and it only took a day and a half!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (27.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 10th January 2007, 09:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hello, all

Look what I found...
The ideas and challenges to traditional transistor explanations I have found interesting as I have also found myself thinking this way and questioned the credibility of my knowledge.

Mostly it was about what he says about current not being "stuff", but only a measurement.

Take a look:

http://amasci.com/amateur/transis.html

- keantoken
Old 10th January 2007, 10:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Don't waste your time with the referenced link. I will agree that scientists have 'formulated' semiconductor physics; however, it is based on massive amounts of research and study. They correctly describe transistor operation. A BJT does amplify base current; in other words, Ic=Beta*Ib. Of course Beta does vary with Ic and other operating conditions, but the basic concept is correct.

One other comment. The use of the phrase "current flow" is strictly incorrect. Current is defined as "flow of electron", so current flow means "flow of electrons flow". Having said that, all engineers know this, and don't worry about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!