combining different speaker wires (weird external crossover problem) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2007, 04:03 AM   #1
Ang is offline Ang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default combining different speaker wires (weird external crossover problem)

The bottom line up front: Would audio quality be aversely affected by speaker cable connections with two banana plugs in the path?

Here's why I'm considering this oddity.

I've got some Alon speakers with tri-wired external crossovers. The current stock cables coming from the crossovers are not well shielded and in fact audibly picking up a radio station which is driving me nuts.

Without messing around with the crossover boxes I'm thinking of cutting out the main section of the wire from them to the tweeter (it's external as these are open baffle and soldered directly) and putting bananas on the stubs and running some well-shielded cable across the gap.
So, banana's at both ends.

I'm going to have to have some kind of connection between the crossover outputs and the drivers - but I'm wondering if the second banana's would be significantly worse than crimping or other options.

Thanks.
Old 19th January 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you sure that it is the tweeter wire that picks up the radio signal?
Old 19th January 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
You must live very close to the transmitter antenna. I lived practically underneath one in my youth. So while building crystal sets, almost anything I made would work, just the one station tho.

I would suspect that a banana plug/jack connection could form a diode connection if any oxidation or dirt is there, so adding more bananna's wouldn't help this.

Clean the plugs with steel wool and then with alcohol swabs. The jacks are more problematic to clean well so ... you have to get more inventive there. I know what I would do there tho.

Hide this!Advertise here!