Desoldering tools

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im curious what is everyones favroite desoldering tools?

I use an old unit i have rebuilt a dozen times that i just love. but as we are approaching rebuild time again. i am wondering if there isnt something better out there.

I like the unit i have, whcih was sold under many brand names. EPE, Sylvania, etc. as it had a lightweight soldering iron type handle and a easy to clean glass bowel that collects all the solder. it just doesnt have much vaccuum and the tips wear out very quickly.

Some i have seen, i think it was a Hakko, have a large heavy handle unit where the pump seems to be in the handle. those look very bulky and i wonder how easy they are to use.

How about the PACE units or the METCAL's etc.

Zc

well because the inevitable finally happened....My old desoldering system uses a small glass bowl on top of the nozzel to collect the solder. this glass bowel is essentially a short test tube. and in the proccess of cleaning it, i broke a hole in it.

I have 3 of these machines and have seen several more on ebay. none have ever had the glass bowel part with them.

I contacted a local Neon sign repair shop and they made me a temporary replacement part but it will not last long as it is the wrong type of glass and will eventually crack. i am talking with some local glass blowers and they are attempting to make me something better. But sooner or later i am going to need to replace this unit.

So i am curious what the "pro's" use? what is the best there is?

Zc

See photo of the glass bowel.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.