Parts storage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just started purchasing parts for experimenting and building audio projects. I am now facing a problem. How to store those parts keeping them organized? I was thinking about some type of small drawer unit but haven't been successful finding one. I would like to find a product that is readily available in the US and can be expanded with the addition of more units.
Any ideas, suggestions? How do you guys keep your parts?

:scratch:

Bins are nice, but

I use 3 ring notebooks and plastic "slide" holders for my precision resistors, sm micas etc. -- nice when you want to build crossovers or RIAA pre-amps.

a good idea is to purchase the "kits" of parts from Jameco -- they come with bins.

If just starting out, consider buying sets of 100 1/4 watt resistors in some of the common values - 120 ohm, 1K, 10k, 100k -- from Digikey and the "kits" of 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors in which you get 5 of each value.

You will find that a good supply of 10N, 100N and 1 U ceramic caps -- buy 100 at a shot -- are another good investment.

When you accumulate a major pile of stuff, you can get one of these...

4 side, 3 cabinets per side, on a base that allows it to rotate!

I got this recently, and haven't finished putting everything into it yet, plus it had a bunch of stuff already in it. After I load it up I'll have to go through it and make an inventory list in excel. Sometimes you can have too much storage!

MR

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 194
MRehorst said:
When you accumulate a major pile of stuff, you can get one of these...

4 side, 3 cabinets per side, on a base that allows it to rotate!

I got this recently, and haven't finished putting everything into it yet, plus it had a bunch of stuff already in it. After I load it up I'll have to go through it and make an inventory list in excel. Sometimes you can have too much storage!

MR

Did you steal that?? Its very much like what Dick Smiths has... :) and you said it already had parts in it... :) lol.. I wouldn't mind one of those... I can NEVER find where I put stuff. . :(

Thank you all for the suggestions. I stopped by Home Depot this morning an purchased a drawer unit like grataku described.
Now I have to line some of the drawers with conductive foam to avoid damaging static sensitive devices. Does anybody have a recomendation of where to purchase the high density type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.