Best way to connect 6ga wire to buss bar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hydro here uses these types of clamps frequently.

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 271
The advantage of mechanical clamping is that if the wire is overloaded and heats up, solder joints won't melt. You could also drop into an automotive store and pick up some battery cable ring terminators. When I have to do work like that, I usually go to my neighborhood West Marine. They'll tag you an extra buck for the terminator but they have a swaging machine for the crimp connection. You can't do 6 Ga. very well in a set of channel lock pliers.

After the mechanical swage, I'll usually throw a torch on the connector and fill with solder... but never just solder for the reason mentioned above.

Oh i would have never suggested soldering alone. Yes i have seen weak mechanical connections that have been soldered heat up and melt the solder out!

I just wanst sure if there was some better means that i was un aware of, or a particular brand of crimp that is best for solid wire etc.

I once saw some cables that had been compressed and RF welded to a crimp lug. now that was cool. bet that equipment is expensive!

Zc

what size is 6awg?

Panduit (RonE's link) shows only 14 to 10awg but does specify stranded or solid.

A crimped connection will deform the solid wire inside the terminal and thus prevent accidental extraction.

A deep crimp near the terminal fixing and a less deep crimp towards the cable end lessens the possibility of fracturing/fatiguing the solid wire as it exits the terminal.

I would go along with crimped and subsequent solder flood.

My advice?

Just heat the two and fuse them together, or use jewler's silver solder (which is, in fact, mostly silver.) "Hard" jewler's solder is over 90% silver and melts at a temperature only slightly lower than copper.

You'll want a very hot torch for this - I reccomend oxy-acetylene, though even a butane pencil-torch may be enough if you're careful.

If you are in a pinch, bend a loop on the end of the wire and fasten it down with a screw or bolt with a friction washer?

6 AWG? I'd probably purchase some small lugs like chipco3434 shows as they are used primarily with solid conductors. They come in all sizes these days.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.