Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default Eliminate Member Rankings And Post Count

Isn't a message board supposed to be a place where people can have their say and make their contributions in a free atmosphere under reasonable rules of conduct?

How does member rankings fit into this?

If Member A posts 500 messages that mostly ask a lot of questions and Member B posts 90 messages that mostly answer those questions correctly, how does Member A "rank" over Member B?

Similarly, Post Counts should be eliminated as well. If someone is concerned that a member's post might not have "standing" (?), we can just create a new category for Post Counts: Under 25 and Over 25 posts.

I would think the clarity and composition of a member's post would count for far more than Post Count in anyone's evaluation of a member's answers, anyway.

Kelticwizard's Suggestions For DIY Audio's New Years Resolutions:

Resolution Number One: Eliminate Member Rankings.

Resolution Number Two: Eliminate Post Counts

Agree? Disagree? How do you feel about it?
Old 1st January 2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Bobken is offline Bobken  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

As a newcomer, I have wondered about this.

At first, I assumed that kelticwizard (for example) being deemed an "Elder", was older and wiser than some of the other posters, but this does not seem to be necessarily so! (no offence intended, kelticwizard)

I don't know how the 'titles' could be judged fairly, though, as it would be a nightmare for anyone to have to 'assess' the value and content of any individual's postings.

Also, who would judge the 'Judges'?

Regards,
Old 1st January 2003, 06:55 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Eliminate Member Rankings And Post Count

Peter,

These are both on the list of cosmetic changes that were mentioned in the Friday the 13th announcement. More important things are in the queue right now so the timing is unknown.

the over 25/under 25 is an interesting twist.

It will be interesting to hear member comments.

dave
(in official capacity)
Old 1st January 2003, 06:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Eliminate Member Rankings And Post Count

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard
I would think the clarity and composition of a member's post would count for far more than Post Count in anyone's evaluation of a member's answers, anyway.

Kelticwizard's Suggestions For DIY Audio's New Years Resolutions:

Resolution Number One: Eliminate Member Rankings.

Resolution Number Two: Eliminate Post Counts

Agree? Disagree? How do you feel about it?
Wiz,
I'm with you. I think the rankings and post counts are crap. There are people here like dave (planet 10) or Frank who have a lot of info in their posts, and contribute far more than they take. However, in comparison, there are others (like one who celebrated his own 1k posts) that consistently post dreck.

I second both resolutions.
Old 1st January 2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Ranking of Members

Hi All,
As I said earlier I feel the quality of the posts is more important to me than the quantity. But who may be the judge of that?. Recently we have seen some pointless postings just to crank up the number. I am in favor of "resolution" 1 & 2.
Old 1st January 2003, 09:12 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobken

I don't know how the 'titles' could be judged fairly, though, as it would be a nightmare for anyone to have to 'assess' the value and content of any individual's postings.

Also, who would judge the 'Judges'?
Bobken:

By the above quote, I am led to believe that perhaps you thought I was proposing eliminating number of posts as the method of ranking members, and was suggesting that some method of rank based on quality of posts be substituted.

If that is the case, I apologize for not making myself clear.

I am proposing elimination of all member "titles" completely. No Novices, no Elders, no Enlighteneds.

I propose the "Over 25 Posts" rank because some say that they distrust the posts of people who have not been members of the board for awhile. They feel that a member should have a "body of work", so to speak, before they take them seriously.

I really do not see the need for that, but the "Over 25 Posts" category is proposed to allay those fears nonetheless.
Old 1st January 2003, 09:36 PM   #7
Banned

my opinion: away with this member ranking based on post counting as fast as possible. There are at the moment at least two threads in the board that makes post counting an absolute nonsense.
Old 1st January 2003, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard
I am proposing elimination of all member "titles" completely. No Novices, no Elders, no Enlighteneds.
How about we choose our own. I want mine to be 'demi-god' or 'stud-muffin' or 'fahn cahn'.

Quote:
I propose the "Over 25 Posts" rank because some say that they distrust the posts of people who have not been members of the board for awhile. They feel that a member should have a "body of work", so to speak, before they take them seriously.

I really do not see the need for that, but the "Over 25 Posts" category is proposed to allay those fears nonetheless.
I don't see the need for a count at all. A person's post should be taken on their merit, nothing else.

Cheers
Old 1st January 2003, 10:20 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
How about we choose our own. I want mine to be 'demi-god' or 'stud-muffin' or 'fahn cahn'.
Details yet to be worked out, but the proposal on the table is to allow a self-choosen title as recognition of a financial contribution to the maintenance of the forum.

dave
(in official capacity)

BTW: post count will still be accessible by going to look in the statistics. Eventually more kinds of rankings (the keystroke count is very interesting) will be added.

In the end the worth of a member is unique to every other member -- even the court jester, our very own minstrel has his place.

dave
Old 1st January 2003, 10:22 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
'stud-muffin'
This gets my vote -- it is a proper extraction from Frank Zappa.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!